Author Topic: The evolution of "Eve"  (Read 8864 times)

blackhawk

Re: The evolution of "Eve"
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 08:34:50 am »
Not a backer fly guy, a handle section. You have to have a double layer of board where you made all those cut outs for fades and a grip. That cut out section and 1-2" each way cannot bend even a little. It will break, regardless of draw weight, draw length or grain.

Or just make those fades much longer decreasing the angle of violation....he needs to make them much smoother and longer anyways. This way ya skip the glue and glued on handle that could have a chance of popping off..n how many times do we hear n see newbies with handles popping off because of too abrupt fades...just like he made the front profile of the fade way to short and sharp...

Offline TenkaraGrasshopper

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 12:28:29 pm »
Thanks PD as a matter of fact I have some mahogany for the handle! Should come out really sweet.
Respect your elders!!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 12:54:11 pm »
Perfect, just be sure you have that handle well beyond the fades each way, at least a few inches of feathering.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 01:06:29 pm »
I will definitely do that. Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to working with it some more. Amazing how much we forget as we get older and our minds do their own thing.  :-[

Respect your elders!!!

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 11:43:38 pm »
Photos to come tomorrow. Bummed to say that I bought the wrong string length but get to hit up the shop tomorrow and get the new correct length.
Respect your elders!!!

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 12:18:25 pm »
Ok everyone. I was finally able to upload a picture of "Eve" from a few days ago. This is at a rough tiller stage at 21". Curious to get your feedback. Also I will be picking up the correct string today and will be working on the tillering and look forward to starting "Eve's" break in period.
Respect your elders!!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 12:25:26 pm »
Its going to break in half. You didn't add a handle like I mentioned. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 12:30:50 pm »
 :-\ Still tweaking trying to figure handle right now. Playing with some ideas that have been mentioned by a friend or two. Going to be putting a few things into play here. And also have a new bow in the planning stages right now that I will definitely play with.
Respect your elders!!!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 12:34:49 pm »
Also keep in mind that while people may seem critical of your work, they are only trying to help. I have seen bows posted on here far worse than yours, and the comments have remained helpful!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 12:45:14 pm »
Do what you will. Wear safety glasses please. 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 12:57:32 pm »
good luck.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 02:50:34 pm »
Safety glasses are number one with me.  8) To many sketchy things can happen. Actually just got some stuff to start work on the handle.

Also had to get a custom string made today. Will pick up in a few days and then will continue the tillering process. Pretty psyched not the less for the fun to come.  ::)

And then I have more reading to do. Bowyer's Bible One and Two down. Three and Four to come.

;)
Respect your elders!!!

Offline DaveMac

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 03:44:14 pm »
You don't seem to have any fades to speak of and the front profile has been narrowed quite a bit so that's why all the bend is in the middle. Could you post a close up side view of that handle section? Its difficult to see because of the photo, but I think you've cut the fade within the handle itself rather than taper into the limb. If that's the case the thinnest part of your fade is also at the thinnest part of your flare. I did exactly the same thing on my first try.

This was mine

I posted this on another forum and was kindly helped out by Bowjunkie I'm guessing that its the same person as on this forum. he posted this pic to help explain it to me (I hope he wont mind me reposting it)

If I'm wrong and the whole thing is uniform thickness forget everything Ive posted. (apart from listen to pearl and glue a handle on to support the middle)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 03:51:07 pm »
That's what you call them dips. Those goofy Pennsylvania guys call them dips, the rest of the civil world call them fades!

Just kiddin' Jeff!

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 04:07:49 pm »
DaveMac here is side profiles for you requested.  ;)
Respect your elders!!!