Author Topic: Glass buttes- AGAIN  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Glass buttes- AGAIN
« on: August 16, 2015, 07:32:13 pm »
So my first trip didn't pan out. Car broke down and we decided to head straight home. Now though me, my wife, and best bud are planning an epic road trip across WA to the Olympic rainforest, down the coast to crescent city CA, up to glass buttes, then to Hood River OR, before making our way back to northeast WA. We'll be camping instead of staying in hotels, driving our jeep with all our gear stached in our carrier up top, I think it's gonna be awesome. But if any of you on somewhere along the route back from glass buttes want some rock, I'm the only knapper out of the trio so we'll have plenty of rock to trade or give away. Also, if anyone has recommended stops/ camp grounds on that route, please shout em out! My buddy is finishing a physics major and living in Seattle so he really wants to get out and see the wild. As do I since I've been down in nasty Texas.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline bubby

Re: Glass buttes- AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:56:12 pm »
Ya know just down the coast a tiny ways from crescent city is where the filmwd the ewok star wars movie pretty cool area
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:32:25 pm »
Try these links.
If you tell anyone you KNOW what happens. >:D
Zuma

www.fs.usda.gov/detail/modoc/.../resourcemanagement/?cid...

www.myoutdoorbuddy.com/Modoc-County
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 09:17:14 pm »
That may be worth a visit Bubby!

Zuma the forest service link didn't work but the second one is full of good stuff!

More ideas! Anyone need obsidian shoot me a message or post up here
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 10:10:05 pm »
Tracker,
Check your PM.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 11:31:04 pm »
Really good surf fishing out of crescent city too
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JMLABRUM

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 03:09:54 am »
That is an epic journey. Make sure you stop at the Crater Rock Museum in Central Point, OR. It is tremendous. There is one obsidian point so big that you can't pick it up. And check out their rock bins in the back

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 06:49:19 pm »
Go check out raptor archery in hood river. Call to make sure he's there.
Ted is an awesome guy, and has some amazing stuff hanging on his walls.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 07:31:02 pm »
That's the point in heading to Hood River! I can't live 13 hours away and not drive down.  :laugh:

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 01:21:49 pm »
Here is some northern CA obsidian from a creek park
where it is legal to help yourself.
These are small but I did find some 6" in dia.
Zuma

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 03:10:38 pm »
lots to see and do along the coast. There is lots of Salmon fishing along the coast right now, you can go by MT. St. Helens or MT. Rainer (the other side) you can drool over the Yew trees.

Before crossing the Megler Bridge, into Astoria from Washington, go up the Colombia to the Grays river. There is a lot of clear agate along that river, I have yet to try to knap any of it to date. I do need to make a run that way one day tho. Have a good safe trip. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 08:46:05 pm »
That mahogany obsidian is what I'm after! And Ill have to check that agate out! I'd be too tempted to take a yew tree with me... My goal is to make a yew take down self bow.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 10:01:46 pm »
I am really surprised that nobody ever mentions Richardson's Rock Ranch.  We use to go there in the old days for knappins and digging agates for knapping.  My skinning knife is made from Piute Agate from southern Oregon that I got at Richardson's.  Good place to camp and is midway from the west to the Buttes.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Zuma

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 10:39:10 pm »
Joe, do you think any of the Wanachee, Anzick Clovis Cashe stuff
came out of that area?
Zuma

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 06:59:39 pm »
On the way! Had a late start and we're shooting straight south to Oregon due to the fires(had to take all our important stuff too since our homes under level 1 evac and the town is level 2). Buttttt it's off to a great start!