Author Topic: chinese horse bow  (Read 3497 times)

Offline rkeltner

chinese horse bow
« on: August 14, 2015, 11:42:25 am »
 I'm posting this here because these are fiberglass bows...they don't belong anywhere else!  I'm just curious if anybody has any knowledge of the quality with them.? got an itch for a horsebow, or some other type of highly reflexed eastern style bow, and my available time for building has dropped to almost zero. the web site that sells them posts some real nice pictures (of course), but these are Chinese made, so I'm aware that, depending on the individual company, quality can be sketchy. I have a samick sage in addition to the various self built longbows in my possession, and don't have a lot against fiberglass for a roust-about bow, which is what this would become. I'm a cheapskate, which is part of what got me into making my own bows in the first place! and before anyone says it...I know, you get what you pay for! yes, that is true, but tend to stay toward the low end of the scale on prices, and with caution have done well in my 54 years

Offline paulsemp

Re: chinese horse bow
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 11:56:39 am »
I shot a couple arrows out of one at one of the shoots and I will say I was not impressed. Any well made simple self Bow shoots just as hard. I hate to say it but like most things made in China that are mass produced their quality is....

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 02:59:49 pm »
that answered my suspicion. sounds like I'm better off spending 3 or 4 hundred dollars for a better one, or making the time to make it myself! and to finish the lead in...Chinese quality is only as good as the quality control. most better quality chinese products have an American company monitoring qc!!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:31:05 pm »
I have a real Chinese horn bow replica. I've heard some horror stories about the crap on ebay.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gifford

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 02:07:17 pm »
Does your bow have to be a Chinese Horse Bow? If you would consider Korean Bows, search for Dr. Thomas Duvernay (screen name of Bluelake on some archery forums) he has written a bow on Korean Bows, he's very knowledgeable (just my opinion) on bows and could answer your questions.

I purchased a Korean FRP Bow (fiberglass something something) and some arrows and a horn ring a number of years ago. Mine is well made and shoots surprising well.

Good luck in your search. Feel free to contact me if you wish to correspond further. G

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 06:03:37 pm »
James Parker, on this site is making a real nice fiberglass, horn belly hybrid horse bow. It's an excellent shooter, I have one of those, also.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 06:23:41 pm »
I'd like to see rhat one Eddie
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 09:53:17 pm »
I'll take some pictures tomorrow.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 10:09:38 pm »
Thanks Eddie

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 11:31:29 am »
here you go, Bubby. Sorry, not trying to highjack this thread
Lakeland, Florida

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 12:35:52 pm »
Thanks Eddie, thats a beaut

Offline gifford

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 05:32:17 pm »
Very nice bow indeed; do you have a translation of the writing on the bow?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 06:12:58 pm »
Yes sir, I wrote it. The short one says, "Swift, Deadly, and Silent". And the longer one says, "Walk softly and carry a bent stick".
Lakeland, Florida

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 02:20:06 pm »
don't worry about highjacking. some threads were meant to take on a life of their own. :D as for 'Chinese' horse bow, forgive me for not giving enough info. my question was more about Chinese made than about Chinese style. I'm not sure where I'm going as far as obtaining one, but I'm thinking I want one eventually. my one attempt at using fiberglass was with auto store cloth, was way too heavy, and marginal at best. if I go to the trouble of building myself a horsebow, i'll  go to the trouble of getting some bow grade glass stripping, or try to build it out of bamboo.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 04:06:29 pm »
If you're going to all the work of making one why not use mother natures composite-sinew and hide glue. It's not that much different except for curing time. As far as safety is concerned sinew is edible and hide glue is just clear soup, also edible. I actually made some sinew glue that turned out a little cloudy so I cut up a bunch of onions, a little garlic and made onion soup. It was pretty good.