Author Topic: Cutting string grooves without overlay  (Read 3962 times)

Offline Mista_Bojangles

Cutting string grooves without overlay
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:54:47 pm »
Hello all. This is my first post. I've been a lurker for a while now. I've followed the 'so you want to build a bow' build along with quartersawn red oak.  I have the profile cut, as well as the thickness.  I'm going to back with burlap (had just a couple run offs), and just need to tiller.

Now for my question. I'm preparing to cut my string grooves, and I'd rather not add overlays. When cutting my grooves, I've seen not to cut across the back on most resources. However, most cuts I see cross in to the back in some fashion
 Do I cut at an angle toward the belly from the sides and just leave slight grooves on the back as you look at it from above? Am I ok as long as I dont completely make a groove across the back?  Also, on this board bow without overlays, should I run my backing from tip to tip, or stop before the tips?

Sorry if this question is addresses somewhere
 I looked for quite some time and couldn't find a clear answer. I don't want to weaken my bow by improperly cutting the grooves. Hopefully my question makes sense. I can try to illustrate if not. Thanks

Offline Badger

Re: Cutting string grooves without overlay
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 09:07:30 pm »
   If you red oak is 1/4 sawn as opposed to flat sawn you can cut slightly over the back, leave it appropriately thicker below the nock.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:03:28 pm »
I use pin nocks on bows without overlays. Or just cut grooves into the side.

Springfield, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:35:18 pm »
I'd also go with pin nocks or side nocks and not cut across the back. I'm not saying Badger is wrong it is just how I'd do it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 11:52:22 pm »
  I use overlays on most everything now because I use fast light strings. I have had then cut right into my limb and split it more than once.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 01:10:15 am »
In this build i show how to do self nocks properlyhttp://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:28:13 am »
I just cut on the sides to meet in the belly and never cut across the back [that's just my opinion] ;) unless I use over lays, Like Badger I usually use over lays so I have no issues. :)
Most of the time I don't go all the way to the tips when backing unless I have an issue, checks
or some other problem with the last 6 inches or so. Again that is just what I do but either way on the backing is fine. :)
 Pappy 
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mista_Bojangles

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 07:32:40 am »
Thanks everyone!  Looks like I'll stick to the side nocks and leave the back alone as much as I can.  Bubby, your thread along with Pappy's explanation helped clear up what I needed to know and what everyone else is telling me.  I see that in the third picture of your nocks, you have very slight groove cuts that appear to barely graze the back to keep the string in place.  The bulk of the cut are on the sides to the belly.  Now I can move along.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 07:59:34 pm »
I like a good self-nock, in the pin-nock style. With heavier draw weights and softer woods or woods that like to split along the nutrient path, it is best to round the edges of the pin, so that it is slightly pegged shaped when viewed on end. This keeps the string from stressing the wood along the  nutrient path (edge grain).  Burnishing the areas the string contacts helps too.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 08:52:32 pm »
Burnishing the areas the string contacts helps too.

+1
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 11:27:31 pm »
You can also heat a 16d nail with a torch and burn in a smooth groove it works great
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹