Author Topic: pith  (Read 2172 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
pith
« on: August 12, 2015, 03:46:25 pm »
I am carving a nice chunky handle (on a common laurel bow)and I find the pith is showing as an oval spot on each end of the handle where the pith travels through it; how do I deal with this - ignore it, cover it over with a contrasting veneer cap, or dig it out and fill it, or drill  it out and glue in a piece of laurel dowel so the repair is invisible, or as close as I can get it?  All the above are assuming the pith can be left inside the (stiff) handle, or do I have to get rid of all of it?

Thanks

Offline DC

Re: pith
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 03:54:20 pm »
I don't think it matters. I've never used Laurel but Ocean Spray has a dominant pith and I've bondoed, veneered, plugged and ignored it. The nicest was veneer but OS veneer is hard to come by so I used Ash. The color was off a bit so I had to get my wife's help to match that up :-[ :-[

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 05:09:34 pm »
I saw one of Druids bows, and the pith channel was huge and not only ran through the handle but the limbs too! I just looked up laurel and found that it has a specific gravity of .68 ???, that suprised me, I always though of laurel as soft for some reason.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 06:24:46 pm »
Don't know about its specific gravity, but it does seem to be a very dense and heavy timber. It is lovely to work with, carves very nicely, doesn't seem to split or splinter, although I was careful to season it slowly.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 06:29:15 pm »
I'd love to see what it looks like when its done :)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 09:25:00 pm »
I don't think it matters. I've never used Laurel but Ocean Spray has a dominant pith and I've bondoed, veneered, plugged and ignored it.

Agreed

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 03:05:56 am »
Doesn't matter one jot  ;)
I've made a few elder sapling bows with a hole running right through the handle. Elder has a pith channel about the diameter of a pencil. The bow will whistle if you catch the wind just right!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 08:24:38 am »
I saw one of Druids bows, and the pith channel was huge and not only ran through the handle but the limbs too! I just looked up laurel and found that it has a specific gravity of .68 ???, that suprised me, I always though of laurel as soft for some reason.
Specific gravity (Density) and hardness are not the same thing... things can be light and hard or heavy and soft... take the metal Lead for example much heavier than Aluminium but softer.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 11:51:21 am »
Del, I understand that specific gravity does not neccessaraly translate to hardness, but what I was trying to say was that I had always thought of laurel as a less-dense wood with a SG of around .45-.50

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 11:55:16 pm »
if the handle is going to be stiff, why worry? Look at some of S
impsons bows.