Author Topic: finally...decent glue lines  (Read 7567 times)

blackhawk

Re: finally...decent glue lines
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 07:42:30 am »
Is it wrong for me to be praying that it pops a splinter?  >:D  :P ....  :laugh: 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 08:01:54 am »
No, its not wrong. But I think your wasting a prayer ;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 08:05:15 am »
Congrats on the glue up!
Sooooo ... maybe there IS hope for me also . . . . . . . . .  .  >:D

If you want to get serious with glue bows sharp shooter, Id highly suggest proper inner tube & peg forms, and a hot box. A sander like Mike mentioned as well. That's what prompted this thread. I have none of those and got lucky this time. I also have no intentions on getting serious with glue bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 12:20:22 pm »
The trick with gluelines is preparation, preparation, preparation!!
If I wanted good gluelines all the time and I didn't have a drum sander. I would saw them myself then find a good woodworking shop who does have one then make friends! A drum sander is THE tool to prepare lams. Planer thicknessers are ok but they leave a washboarded surface and actually compress the fibers thus not really allowing a proper glue bond. Lams prepared with a drum sander will always be flawless. To make tapered lams just buy a set of 0.002 and 0.001 tapers from Binghams, put these on a simple sled with a butt end stop and put your lams on top, they will then be ground to perfectly match the base taper. Most wood bows like about 0.005 to 0.008 per running inch tapers. If they ask what grit you want them done with 60 grit is the one.

Would a belt sander work as well as a drum sander? I would think that a belt sander would get it flatter. Am I wrong?

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 12:35:51 pm »
If you can afford a drum sander or build one like i am in the process of doing that is the way to go right now i use a surface planer and a belt sander just to rough it up a bit
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 08:20:11 am »
Well it held up just fine. I shot a ton of arrows from it yesterday. The bow pretty much fell out of the glue up I made. It only took a few hours to tiller it. Yew is nice that way.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 09:17:46 am »
pics man pics!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 01:02:34 pm »
Lookin' good man! Bamboo looks a bit on the thick side...food for thought if you ever venture to the dark side again.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 05:56:34 pm »
Oooooh that has to be a sweet shooter.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 09:00:07 pm »
If you can afford a drum sander or build one like i am in the process of doing . . . . . .

build along! build along!   ;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 11:27:11 pm »
glue lines....... It doesn't get much better than that! 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 07:44:31 am »
Here are the few I took. I need to slap some finish to it in the next week or so.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 08:11:18 am »
Looks good to me. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 02:41:06 pm »
Looks great!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 03:24:12 pm »
<------ green with envy.    ::)
Congrats, young man!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857