Author Topic: finally...decent glue lines  (Read 7568 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
finally...decent glue lines
« on: August 14, 2015, 07:21:27 pm »
I dislike building glue bows for a zillion reasons, but I still do here and there. I like the punishment I guess. My good buddy Cody made me a few 36" long tapered paduk slats, after he tapered a set of yew slats I had given to him to do so. Then at Marshall this spring, I stole a killer piece of bamboo from Clint before he had a chance to give it to bad Chris in a done trade. It was a flat out stolen piece of boo  8). Long story short, I finally achieved good glue lines on all 280" of them. Hope that is a good sign for this project.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

Re: finally...decent glue lines
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:36:41 pm »
Nice ones! What kinda glue?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 07:41:35 pm »
Thievery does pay!  Cool...I mean the glue lines, not the thievery.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 07:45:17 pm »
  The glue lines look great, what kind of wood is the belly piece?

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:03:48 pm »
Finally free from the oppression of bad glue lines, so i guess the pearl widow bow is back on track?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 08:09:23 pm »
Nice ones! What kinda glue?

Uni Bond 800
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 08:14:49 pm »
  The glue lines look great, what kind of wood is the belly piece?

Steve I was given a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 64 piece of flat sawn yew by wizardgoat at Marshall, thanks again dude. Not only perfectly flat sawn, but thin ringed and old to boot. So wanting a much longer bow, I sawed two 36" 1/4 sawn slats with a handle section on each from it. Spliced them to 72", butt jointed the paduk core and of course the boo is whole. Slapped the glue and clamps to the whole damn dripping mess and said a prayer with both sets of fingers crossed. I have a miserable glue bow set up and I just rig it all up. I got lucky to not waste these precious ingredients.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 08:21:26 pm »
Thievery does pay!  Cool...I mean the glue lines, not the thievery.  ;)

He had it coming! I cant think of why? But I know it felt good snagging from Clint's hands and stashing it in my tin tent. I had an idea in mind before I let go of it, goat had just given me that old yew board.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 08:36:21 pm »
  One thing I like about working with epoxy is that you have a lot more time. I always feel rushed when working with tightbond.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 08:45:57 pm »
Should be pretty nice contrasting colors.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 09:33:57 pm »
That sure does look sharp with those contrasting colours.
I knew you'd do something special with that board. Can't wait to see the finished product

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 09:36:46 pm »
Congrats on the glue up!
Sooooo ... maybe there IS hope for me also . . . . . . . . .  .  >:D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 09:47:23 pm »
Them's some mighty fine lines, mighty fine.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 10:31:00 pm »
Looks great so far Pearly.  That bamboo strip has some miles on it.  Glad to see it glued on some lumber and not leaning in the corner of my shop.  Sorry Blackhawk.  Next year get to Marshall a little earlier in the week before your trade items get claimed. 

Good Chris/Bad Chris, either way I knew it would end up on a sweet bow. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 03:10:53 am »
The trick with gluelines is preparation, preparation, preparation!!
If I wanted good gluelines all the time and I didn't have a drum sander. I would saw them myself then find a good woodworking shop who does have one then make friends! A drum sander is THE tool to prepare lams. Planer thicknessers are ok but they leave a washboarded surface and actually compress the fibers thus not really allowing a proper glue bond. Lams prepared with a drum sander will always be flawless. To make tapered lams just buy a set of 0.002 and 0.001 tapers from Binghams, put these on a simple sled with a butt end stop and put your lams on top, they will then be ground to perfectly match the base taper. Most wood bows like about 0.005 to 0.008 per running inch tapers. If they ask what grit you want them done with 60 grit is the one.