Author Topic: Tell me your opinion,...hunting revolver  (Read 5227 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Tell me your opinion,...hunting revolver
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:28:28 pm »
So, I think I've done as much as I can hunting with Airguns and I'm feeling a bit stale.

I'm looking to start hunting hogs with a revolver, I'm looking at the S&W .357 mag 6" barrel and the Ruger .357 mag 6" barrel

which one would you buy ?

.....don't bring in other calibers,
I'm going .357 because I have plenty ammo both .357 and .38 and I already have a Colt Trooper Mark III 4" barrel ( in Hawaii need a 6" for hunting ) and a Henry Big Boy .357
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Tell me your opinion,...hunting revolver
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 09:41:35 pm »
I don't think you could go wrong either way.  Have you considered a longer barrel?  I like to deer hunt with a revolver.  It has an 8 3/8" barrel. 

Taurus makes a nice revolver.  It might be cheaper than the S&W or Ruger.   Post some pictures of whatever gun you get.  And maybe a picture of it laying across a big hog.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:30:20 pm »
I use a Ruger Super Redhawk, 44 mag, with a Bushnell scope. Just my opinion, .357, kick too much and make people miss more because of the high, pitched Crack noise.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:32:15 pm »
Manny, also, I kill more hogs head shooting them with my S&W .22 cal pistol with a red dot scope.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:35:01 pm »
I have a Ruger 357 wouldn't give it up.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 11:35:31 pm »
Big fan of rugers
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 12:04:31 am »
Ruger.
Nothing wrong with the Smth & Wesson but I think the Ruger frame is the stronger of the two.

Guy

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 01:23:21 am »
Either one is a good reliable gun. I personally have a Dan & Wesson 357 magnum with 3 interchangeable barrels. I use the 9in barrel wit a red dot scope to hunt with. Wouldn't trade it for the world! But like mullet said a 22 between the eyes is super effective. I've personally killed several with a rough rider 22 revolver that I bought for a hundred bucks new. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 01:48:21 am »
My vrother has a dan wesson with the interchangeable barrels son of a gun has one eye and used to routinely shoot the heads off quail at 30 yds or so open sites
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 03:09:51 am »
I shot a wild hog, in a swamp, in Perry, Florida, with my S&W model 19 in .357 mag, with a six inch barrel.  I shot it in the heart at about 30 yd.s.  I thought I missed, because she took off like a bat out of hell!  I fired twice more, and hit her once, in the right leg, where the jacket shed, and the lead lodged in her left leg.  She kept going, till my buddy, shot her with a 12 gauge 3 inch magnum, with tripple ought buck.  I gutted her, and found my bullet hole where I first fired, and took the heart out, and it was sliced through the first ventrical. and the bullet was lodged in the skin on the left side, beautifully mushroomed.  I was using a 158 grained semi jacketed hollow point.  After I saw how she reacted to being hit this way, I bought a model 29 in .44 mag.  There were some big hogs in the that swamp, and I sure did not want to encounter any of them, with only my .357 mag.  So I started toting my shotgun instead.  I still carried the pistol, but I hunted with the shot gun.  Like Eddie said, you can kill them with a correctly placed .22, as you well know with the pigs you have killed with the air rifles.  I love my model 19, but when hunting, I carry my model 29.  Especially here in Montana.  Shot placement is key as usual.  I should have tried a head shot on the sow, but she squatted like she was going to run, so I went for the heart.  The liver was also in chunks, and the cavity was filled with blood, but she took off like I had completely missed, and ran for about fifty yards, before my buddy finished her, at about 12 feet from him, and the shot didn't have time to spread, and was just a big hole on her jaw, and her spine, where he fired a second time.  So my bullets were the only ones, to hit her heart, and chest cavity, and forelegs.  I don't know how far she could have run, but if a big ol boar was to charge, me and all I had was a pistol, I would want my model .29!  I don't want to see how far he could run.  The trees in the swamp were not exactly ideal for a quick climb! The sow probably only dressed out at around 120lb.s or so.  Imagine how much damage one of those big ol boars could take!  Some of them were in the range of 300, and up!  That is my experience with hog hunting with a .357 mag.  I hope you do better.  I am a firm believer in large chunks of lead. 
Either of the Pistols you mention would be a fine choice.  The Ruger is as was said, a bit stouter, in frame, and also heavier.  Good hunting Manny.
                                   Wayne
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 03:32:14 pm by stickbender »

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 07:15:06 am »
Well, minimum in Hawaii for pistol hunting is .357 and 6" barrel.

I don't want to go to .44 because there's no way I can find ammo here for it,
 but I have plenty .357 and still can find .357 pretty easily, and ton of .38 for practice

looked at that Taurus and she's in the running too :)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 10:35:15 am »
You can't go wrong with a ruger or a Smith, but....I wouldn't even have to think about my choice for a .357 for hunting.  The Taurus 608 would be my choice hands down.  Eight shots, ported barrel and as smooth an action as any.  If we're talking .357 that is.  Otherwise it would be my Taurus raging bull in .454 casull.  Dads X-frame Smith would be alright, but it's a bit heavy.  Josh

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 01:32:35 pm »
I picked up a Rossi 357 last fall and love it. It was cheap, $170 and I love the way it shoots. My 2 cent.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline okie64

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 06:15:06 pm »
Ive owned both and they are both great guns but I liked the ruger a little better. Another one to consider is the ruger blackhawk, in my opinion they are better than either of the double actions you are looking at. And you'll be much more accurate shooting single action anyway. Ive hunted lots of hogs with lots of different weapons and having to cock that hammer isnt going to slow you down that much.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 06:37:33 pm »
Yeah, I'm planning to hunt single action, but I don't care much for the looks of the BlackHawk.

the 3 finalists are

Taurus 608

Ruger GP100 "Blued"

S&W 586

Still have a couple weeks before I order it ( need to sell a bunch of Airguns first )

The Ruger is slightly ahead right now but things can change several times from now to purchase  ;D ;D ;D ;D

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII