Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

2015 U.S. Flight Nationals, September 4-6

<< < (2/7) > >>

Badger:
  Joe if you can come a day earlier we will be practicing. Just a little practice you might get it down.

JoJoDapyro:
Give me an arrow weight to shoot for, a have a few weeks!

Badger:
If you are interested in broadhead you will need 500 grains and your bow will need to not weigh more than your weight class when measured to the back of the broadhead. If you are shooting unlimited weight class your bow will not be weighed.

For the regular flight shooting the general rule of thought is as light as you can get and still maintain stiffness. About 200 grains with a 24" arrow is pretty typical. a little more or less. This is for the 50# classes. We will have some arrows you can use if you don't get them made. I have plenty.

JoJoDapyro:
Maybe I'll get my juniper bow tillered the rest of the way!

avcase:
I agree with Steve.

My best advice on arrows is to diversify and make as many arrows as you can to cover a decent range of weights and center of balance. For example, for a 50# bow and 24" arrow, it wouldn't hurt to have arrows 165 grains to 225 grains.  Just make sure not to go so light in spine with the arrow that it is in danger of exploding. Make them nice and straight and don use too thick feathers for Fletching. I favor rounding over the point, like the nose of a 747 jet, instead of leaving a sharp point, but you can experiment with that too.

I wouldn't hesitate trying to finish up your juniper bow. Or take it as far as you can. The fun thing about primitive flight is that I've even seen an archer finish shaping and tillering his bow at the event and I think he may have even broke a record with it.

My first year, in 2004, I barely cleared 100 yards, but I had a great time, learned a lot from some great bow builders, and have been coming back every year since.

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version