Main Discussion Area > Flight Bows

2015 U.S. Flight Nationals, September 4-6

<< < (3/7) > >>

JoJoDapyro:
My juniper is a 55 inch, sinew backed Utah juniper. Maybe a 24 inch draw!

Badger:
  Allen, Allen Courier finished up his simple comp bow while we were shooting on the line, Ike was cussing at him and having a fit. He broke the 50# broadhead record with the bow. I chased his record for about 10 years until I got it.  This is actually a good example of shooting a fresh bow! It had only been brought to full draw at the weight scales one time before shooting it. My 50# self bow that I hold a record with is kind of an odd ball, I shoot it every year and also use it in 3 d competitions ( drawing 26") the bow gets a few yards better every year.

avcase:
Steve,
Thanks for filling in the details. I remember being amazed watching that entire process leading up to Allen Currier's broadhead record.  Ike shouting and angry about delays while Dan Perry & others helping with the string and other details so he could shoot the thing. I wonder what ever happened to Mr. Currier?

Joe,
The minimum arrow length allowed for primitive is 23". If you are going for a 50-lb & under draw weight class, then you have to go through a weigh-in process. The officials at the weigh-in area will take your longest arrow, and draw your bow just far enough that the point of the arrow starts to fall free from the shelf, if you have one, and they will take a draw weight reading.  As long as it he draw weight is 50#, or less, then you are okay.  If your bow doesn't have a shelf, then the bow will be drawn until the point of the arrow would start to drop free of the bow if it was turned horizontally, or approximately even with the belly side of the bows arrow pass. It is important to be aware of this so you don't find yourself having to cut down your arrows at the last minute. If you measure your maximum 24" draw from the back of the bow, then you will need to make sure your arrows are short enough that it passes the weigh-in process. 

The weigh-in is always a bit tense for the primitive classes. Whoever is running the scales will need to be made aware that the primitive bows are held drawn for as little time as possible, and that the bow is not drawn past the draw weight cutoff.

If you are shooting in an unlimited weight class, then you can bypass the weigh-in process and shoot whatever length arrows you want.

Alan

Badger:
  Joe, bring some of your better shooting bows, they might surprise you. Most of the bows that get the best distances are not hot rods. They get the arrow out cleanly, if the arrow gets off to a good start it makes a world of difference in the distance you will get.

avcase:
Steve,
A good example is your 50# simple composite record of over 346 yards.  The arrow was pretty heavy, and your string looked pretty hefty too because you were having all kinds I breakage issues. Your bow was well built and proportioned, but not very extreme.  The results were pretty extreme however, breaking a nearly 20 year old record by nearly 20 yards. I was impressed!

Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version