Author Topic: Dominant eye  (Read 3031 times)

Offline DC

Dominant eye
« on: August 12, 2015, 04:39:32 pm »
I can't seem to get any of the methods of determining dominant eye to work. There's one where you make a circle with your hands and then look through it at something far away, then pull your hands toward you. The eye you end up on is your dominant eye. You all know this. Anyway with me when I hold up my hands to make a hole I get two equal holes and I don't know which one to find the distant object in. For me it seems to be a conscious choice. Is it possible that I don't have a dominant eye?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Dominant eye
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 05:07:08 pm »
Cut a hole in a piece of cardboard , look through it at something small with both eyes open then close one eye if you can still see it that is your dominant eye when you shut the other you won't be able to see what you were looking at . Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 05:44:53 pm »
OK I tried that. When I hold the cardboard up I see a sheet of cardboard with two holes in it. The object I was looking at is hidden behind the space between the two holes. I have to pick a hole to look through. If I pick one hole I appear to be right eye dominant. If I pick the other hole I appear to be left eye dominant.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 05:57:31 pm »
I just phoned the optometrist to see if it was in my records. It wasn't so they tried to talk me through a test(the receptionist is an archer) and when I said I could see two holes she made me an appointment to see the Dr.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 06:07:57 pm »
If you shoot instinctively it really doesn't matter which eye is dominant.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 09:41:15 pm »
Most people have a dominant eye, but to different degrees, similar to being right or left handed.  Some people rely on one eye 75% of the time and 25% on the other.  Those people can do the tests you mentioned and figure it out easily.  Some other people may have one eye (that's dominant) that they use 51% of the time.  Those people are like ambidextrous individuals.  I'd say if you're having trouble telling which eye is dominant, it's probably close enough that it won't make an appreciable difference.

What eye do you use when looking through a camera viewfinder or in a telescope?

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 09:55:50 pm »
My left but I'm sort of left handed and I can hold them steadier on that side.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 08:01:54 pm »
  Pats right you only need to use your dominant eye when useing sights or or you gap shooting useing your point as a sight.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING