Author Topic: HOWDY All from Aurora, CO  (Read 1667 times)

Offline TenkaraGrasshopper

• TenkaraGrasshopper
HOWDY All from Aurora, CO
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:25:55 pm »
Good evening all. I am returning to being a bowyer after almost 15 years.  :-[ Long story as to why this took so long but I have a question for you all. Currently I am working on a Red Oak Board Bow and as I was shaping the belly of the bow earlier today I noticed that it was starting to bend in the belly. Is this a normal thing to happen. I will post pics tomorrow or the day after so you can all see. I appreciate any help on this. I don't remember this happening in the past but time does make the memory fade.

Respect your elders!!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: HOWDY All from Aurora, CO
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 07:00:20 am »
There you are fly guy. Welcome to PA

Not sure what you mean by bend in the belly, they all better bend or the bow is in trouble! Post some pics and lets see it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 10:43:50 am »
Welcome to PA,

I'm not as experienced as the other guys, I've never had a bow bend in the belly while I was roughing it out, only when I was tillering and I believe my case is caused by poor tillering and moisture content of the wood being too high. Hope you find an answer.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 02:56:45 pm »
Do you tie Tenkara flies? If so we need to do a trade!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline TenkaraGrasshopper

• TenkaraGrasshopper
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 12:54:17 pm »
Hey guys I have a really bad feeling it might be a moisture content problem in the wood.  :embarassed: I will post pictures tonight so that you can see my progress. I might do it here in this post or in a new one. Thanks for your help. And JoJo I do tie Tenkara flies and I am totally willing to trade with you somehow.  8)

I am working til 6 PM tonight so I will do what I can to get this up.  ;D

BTW PD I just read the current issue of PA and wanted to congratulate you on the BOY. That was one beautiful bow and something I have to shoot for.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:26:21 pm by TenkaraGrasshopper »
Respect your elders!!!