Author Topic: string angle at arrow question  (Read 2950 times)

Offline sleek

string angle at arrow question
« on: August 12, 2015, 02:50:17 pm »
All things else being equal,  say on a static recurve so tip string angle wont play a factor.... looking only at arrow string angle, does a sharper ( more finger pinch ) string allow for more velocity or more power to the arrow? I have this idea where a sharp string angle at tje arrow allpws for a faster sharper string return giving more ( lack of a better analogy ) high end horsepower to the arrow. Kinda like flipping your wrist at the end of a pitch, because that allows for a change in angle as the ball is released from your hand.

All this is in my head and poorly explained largely because I have a poor grasp on it. But I hope my question is clear.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: string angle at arrow question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 06:03:18 pm »
I would think tighter string angle at the arrow nock would affect the release more negatively than a wider string angle there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KS51

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 06:15:36 pm »
I doubt you would find that string angle at the arrow would be any indication of better arrow speed.  A well designed bow, that minimizes mass, will shoot faster.  String angle is a "side effect" of overall bow-string geometry for the different bow styles.  String angle may affect accuracy depending on your hold and release.

Flight shooters may have a different take on this, but they do their thing on the bleeding edge of performance.  The Dragsters of archery so-to-speak.

Ken

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 06:23:43 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I am not taking into account release or accuracy.  There are ways around that ( thumb ring or trigger release ). I was only looking at arrow nock string angle vs power.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 06:47:46 pm »
Probably yes but mostly because there is a better chance that the limbs are optimally stressed per mass, not because of the angle itself.
The string functions the same for all bows.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 07:02:31 pm »
i dont know,,,, I dont think I have ever read if that effects arrow speed,,interesting question,, my guess is that it is one of those tricky counter intuitive effects that always amaze me and confuse me  :) as stated above it may be that the string angle indicates the longer power stroke and not the string angle itself adding the speed,, good question ???

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 07:04:05 pm »
   I have honestly never even thought about string angle at the arrow except when I have a very short bow and I get finger pinch.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 07:11:02 pm »
  Never having really given it any thought before I would think that a high string angle at the arrow would act like a higher gear, more tip movement per arrow movement, this is also a bi product of poor energy storage but increased efficiency simply because the string is feeling more of the arrows weight as it tries to accelerate it. A flight bow set up might benefit more from it than a hunting weight arrow but I am not really sure. Longer bows with lower string angles tend to perform better most of the time

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 07:55:10 pm »
There we go, thats what im looking for! So with high string angles, perhaps more fade bending would be in order for more.... torque?

Offline KS51

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 09:26:39 pm »
I suspect that a higher string angle and thus a higher initial rate of change (acceleration) is offset by the need for a change in the arrow spine.  Don't forget that regardless of how fast the string accelerates (dry fire speed), the realized speed is limited by an arrows abiliy to absorb the energy and convert it into velocity.

From one point of view, when the arrow can't directly take the energy offered and convert it into acceleration, it stores the energy like a spring by flexing.  The ever decreasing flexing (decreasing oscillations) as the arrow travels is the spring energy being converted into momentum (and lost to gravity and drag)

Ken

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 09:26:59 pm »
Sleek, I think you are putting way too much thought in to this simple archery.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 03:02:12 am »
No Sleek the bow has to be designed correctly in the first place. You can't just add more fade bend without getting more set there.
Everything is linked and string angle at the fingers is determined by the bow design. To get a small angle at the nock you would either need a very short bow or an overly long draw length....both not good things which would have negative effects on performance by themselves.