Author Topic: RAMIN WOOD SHAFTS  (Read 3097 times)

Offline DV IN MN

RAMIN WOOD SHAFTS
« on: August 11, 2015, 06:45:55 pm »
Does anyone have experience with them and thoughts. Seem heavy, fairly strait, but can't read any grain for nock orientation. Spine was all over on the batch that I have. Used the spine to determine the nock location (weakest toward the bow). Shooting mid 60's 31.75 length shaft. I could cut them shorter if I want the Brodhead to rest on my knuckle/finger.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: RAMIN WOOD SHAFTS
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:00:36 pm »
I've never used ramin but many have successfully. The stiff side of the arrow should go against the bow for better arrow flight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:12:36 pm »
I sold them for a while.
Yes, they're tough and heavy. Yes, it's really difficult to read the grain. I flexed them pretty good so be sure the dowel was sound since I couldn't read the grain very well.
The supply seemed to dry up as they suddenly became some kind of endangered or threatened wood. But they did make aninexpensive, tough arrow.

Guy

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 02:59:53 pm »
Pat,

With the spine for most about 5-10 over the correct spine weight of the bow figured I should go weak side to the bow so it would get around it better. Not center cut just a shelf glued on.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 03:09:17 pm »
I'm pretty sure ramin lumber was banned as it was destroying alot of habitat in some country that I can't remember. Could be wrong but I swear I saw a thread about this happening some time ago when I was lurking.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 04:23:18 pm »
If you are over spined you can make them longer to decrease the effective spine or add heavier tip weight. The effective spine will decrease 5# for each inch over 28" and for each 25grs of point weight over 125gr will decrease the effective spine by 5#. The stiff side should still go against the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 04:55:38 pm »
You can also sand/scrape the middle 1/3 to reduce the spline and the out 1/3 front and rear to reduce physical weight and yes they are tough shafts. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good