Author Topic: Ipe to Ipe glue up with TB3?  (Read 4959 times)

Offline Stonedog

Ipe to Ipe glue up with TB3?
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:22:25 pm »
I am going to add a thin lamination to the belly of my ELB....the hickory backing is already glue on.

Will TB3 work for the ipe to ipe glue up or should I wait for warmer weather and go with URAC?

This will have a stiff handle section and built to the specs of Pip's instructions.
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline rkeltner

Re: Ipe to Ipe glue up with TB3?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:54:07 pm »
i have a hickory backed ipe tha i'm currently finishing out that i glued up with tb3, and she seems to be holding together quite well. i had wondered the same thing before my glue up, also, but the majority that i saw seemed to think that tb3 was"the bomb". seriously, though, while i haven't done ipe to ipe, i suspect it would hold together quite well!

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 01:03:05 pm »
Hi,
I use TB3 for all my glue-ups, including ipe. No failures to report thus far. Mkae sure you "degrease" ipe with isopropyl alcohol or acetone first. Don't score either surface... TB3 works best when the surfaces are smooth and close fitting.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 02:32:36 pm »
      I use tb3 also, It is important to not have the surfaces too shiny such as a planer might do, but any smooth sanded tight fitting surface will adhere well. Steve