Author Topic: Rebuilt grip  (Read 2740 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Rebuilt grip
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 10:13:56 am »
Yes sir. Sawed it close, finished with a rasp and then just glued it all up in a stack. I made the lams plenty wide so I didn't have to mess with slipping during glue up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 10:20:25 am »
Nice rework, Pearlie. I never liked the Hill style handles. They look uncomfortable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 11:15:27 am »
Liked that bow when ya made it.  Deserves to be shot ALOT.  So glad there's now a handle that suits. Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 12:55:14 pm »
Do you have a before picture Chris?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 12:56:41 pm »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 01:01:08 pm »
Nice save Chris, looks much better now

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 01:17:54 pm »
Nice work Chris!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline autologus

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 02:02:44 pm »
What are the dimensions on your belly slat?  My next project is a Hickory backed Ipe and Im shooting for about 45# at 28".  I love the handle it looks great and I'll bet it is very comfortable to shoot.

Grady

Grady start with 5/8" slats so your riser section stays stuck. The bow is 1" wide at the fades, 69" ntn, solid 55 @ 28". The back is thin, under 3/16" after sanding and rounding.

Think I could get away with a thinner slat if I used a powerlam?  5/8" would not be a problem but 55# is more than this kid could shoot I'm afraid.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 02:04:57 pm »
I know what power lams are, but have never used one. So I cant answer that. I just know I like plenty of thickness to start, Ive had a handle or two pop over the years. Id rather remove more material from the working portion than to start too thin under the handle.

Offline autologus

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 02:18:43 pm »
While i'm building I might as well give it a go both ways and see where it ends up.  2 bows are better than one anyway, and I will get some good glue up experience.  ;)  I now have a good example to follow, you have been a tremendous help, thanks.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 02:23:00 pm »
That looks much more comfortable than the before handle Chris.