Author Topic: Heat bending osage  (Read 5974 times)

Offline Badger

Heat bending osage
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:45:23 am »
        I have primarily used dry heat for bending osage on all but the tighttest curves. Seems like the last couple of years I have had more problems with cracks forming in the bend, or uneven bends, or the wood just not want to give. No problem on the gentle curves like you would see on a cawl or d/r bow but on the recurves. It has got to be something I am doing different.

The only difference I can figure out is that I used to buy almost all my wood from the southern U.S. Last few years I have been buying from Ohio, Michigan, Pennselvania, I like the wood a lot better.

Is it posible that where it is grown affects how it bends??  90% sure it just my fault but I can't see anything I am doing different.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Heat bending osage
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 12:00:00 pm »
Steve the two things I believe cause cracks in osage with dry heat are, wood not totally dry and/or too much heat being applied that it tears the wood rather than stretch it out like we want it to. I wont lie, I got tired of dealing with and the last few years all the osage bows Ive made have been straight tipped, or statics. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 12:12:55 pm »
  I never have been big on recurves I like a gentle flip in the last 12" or so but have even experienced some mild cracking there. I won't even attempt a dry heat recurve anymore. You may be right about the greenwood, most of the wood I have been working with lately has been fresh cut within the last couple of months.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:15:11 pm »
That's probably your killer. Even though its dry enough to make a perfectly serviceable bow, its not dry enough to suck up intense heat. I think a flip tipped long bow is one of the sexiest profiles in the self bow world, but I really cant get one to shoot much differently than a straight reflex limb with very little set. So I keep it simple anymore.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:19:03 pm »
  Normaly what I do is as soon as I get a stave in the mail I rough it out into a bow, about a week or two later I put in on a cawl and then I wait about a month to tiller it out. They usually ride around in my car for about a week before tillering.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 12:26:03 pm »
I have run across the odd Osage that was resistant to heat bending Steve and it's usually wood with tight rings.  I always use wet heat except for making corrections or reflexing, just safer.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 12:29:41 pm »
I've used your localized steam method a few times Marc. If that method wont move wood, it doesn't want to move.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 01:06:42 pm »
I have run across the odd Osage that was resistant to heat bending Steve and it's usually wood with tight rings.  I always use wet heat except for making corrections or reflexing, just safer.

The stuff I am buying up north generally does have much tighter rings than I used to get down south. That might be the problem.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 01:23:37 pm »
On Osage when I'm doing heat corrections I always use oil now. I've been having too many problems with just dry heat and breaking rings.

Just wanted to add almost all my Osage dead standing with very tight rings

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 05:45:07 pm »
I too use marc's localized steam method for flipping and recurving with great results!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 06:16:11 pm »
I've done a few tight radius statics and I'm working on one now..........with dry heat, I think slow medium heat works best with me.  Too hot too quick is not good.  I've done some steam bending on osage too with real good success and the steam temp is only around 212 deg F.... not real hot but deep penetrating.  My wood is 4 or 5 year old, and the ring thickness varies........
DBar
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 06:21:47 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 06:22:53 pm »
could someone link too a post or describe this localized steaming? i haven't heard of it before. 

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 06:40:17 pm »
I've used your localized steam method a few times Marc. If that method wont move wood, it doesn't want to move.

Is there a how to on this stem method ??????????
Thanks
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 06:57:51 pm »
I think the process they are referring to is to wrap a localized area with a wet towel/rag and seal with aluminum foil.  then hit it with the heat gun and apply pressure with clamp.  for me this method works very well taking out twists and bending thick handles to align the tips.  I agree with danzn bar,  dry heat seems to cause cracks for me when it is rushed.  For me dry heat seems to work best combined with vegetable oil and a light, steady pressure as I bend around a form.  When the wood is ready, it bends like melting plastic.  If I push too hard or force it, I get cracks. Most have been shallow, though and I leave enough wood  usually to just scrape below the splinter to good wood.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 07:22:36 pm »
I live at 7000 ft,, I was used to steam bending at sea level,, when I moved here it seemed more difficult to make a bend without problems,, it takes food longer to cook,, so I think it just takes more time to get the right heat for the bend,, or longer steaming,,