Author Topic: Tru Oil over Poly?  (Read 7886 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Tru Oil over Poly?
« on: August 06, 2015, 09:51:26 pm »
I've seen posts where people talk about putting spray poly over tru oil to cut the shine a little bit. Here's a question though. Can I do a few light coats of tru oil over a poly finish to give it a deeper luster? Or would this just be a waste of time?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tru Oil over Poly?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:56:43 pm »
From what I understand, you shouldn't put a hard coat over a soft coat. Poly is hard, Tru-Oil is soft.    ...but I often spray a light coat of satin poly over Tru-Oil to cut the shine. Tru-Oil and Poly are compatible so you can apply either to the other in any direction. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 08:12:23 am »
Im not sure it would do any good but I guess you could try and see what happens. Tru oil is made to absorb into the wood and poly just sits on top of the wood so I would think you would just have tru oil sitting on top of the poly.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 08:56:42 am »
Im not sure it would do any good but I guess you could try and see what happens. Tru oil is made to absorb into the wood and poly just sits on top of the wood so I would think you would just have tru oil sitting on top of the poly.

This is true, but why would you want to apply a oil over poly? I built a finished gun stocks for years. The only finish that I used was Tru oil. It is a versatile finish. It can be used to seal the pores in wood which can make it virtually water proof if done correctly. It will make a lustrous shine or a satin finish. It's also tough as nails. The thing most people forget is to wax the heck out of it and buff it really well after the oil cures for about 48 hours.  If you want a deeper shin on your poly you have to apply a super smooth finish. Then wax it as stated before. I use carnauba car wax. I don't use poly because over time it will yellow and get brittle and crack. Patrick
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:00:53 am by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 09:28:32 am »
It will peel off.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 09:43:07 am »
On osage, I seal the pores with 3 coats of Tru Oil and then spray on 3 coats of spar urethane. Never had a problem. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 09:44:28 am »
He is going the other way George. Oil over poly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 12:49:38 pm »
Oh I see. Thanks, PD. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Gaur

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 10:32:13 pm »
Actually Phil the moderator over on the LW did a series on his style of refinishing and he was putting on poly first and then finishing with tru oil and the bows looked great.

Here is the thread:  http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=268585&category=88#3830973
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:52:36 am by Gaur »
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2