Author Topic: Long Bows  (Read 2889 times)

Offline DC

Long Bows
« on: August 06, 2015, 06:06:28 pm »
I think I'm developing a bad habit. I cut my staves long, usually 6-6 1/2 ft. When it comes time to make a bow I'm reluctant to cut the end off. Alter all it's perfectly good wood that I've put time into drying. Anyway I'm starting to collect a bunch of long(about 6') bows. They seem to shoot nicely but they are all I have ever shot. I have an honest 27 1/2" draw length that will probably stretch out a bit when I get my form right. Can you guys convince me that I would be better off with shorter bows? What are the upsides? Downsides?

Offline bushboy

Re: Long Bows
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 06:49:14 pm »
Most of my ones are 62"ttt or shorter.had a 72" bamboo backed elm that I loaned out,then the guy moved away.had great groups up to 35 yards.there's no such thing as loaning a bow without having to ask for it back!ive let it slide so far(loan means give I guess!lol
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 06:56:08 pm »
If your building elbs just leave them long i shoot 28-29" and most of my bows are 62" ttt depending on what i build and the wood
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline punch

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 07:04:52 pm »
If you are not hunting with them and you are happy with them then there is no reason to change other than to try something different.  I have always shoot bows 64" - 70".  I recently tried a short bow and like it a lot.  Mostly because it is easier to hunt with and it is different from what I normally shoot.  My hunting bow has usually been 69" ttt. 

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 07:29:11 pm »
I only target shoot so maneuverability is not and issue. What about building them? Am I going to break more by making them shorter? 

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 08:00:11 pm »
  Longer limbs are less efficient if you have too much working limb. A nice even fully tillered limb on a 6 ft piece of osage might be  little doggy, leave the last 12" or so stiff and maybe a little stiff out of the fades. I don't like to go longer than about 68" with osage.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 08:39:55 pm »
Is it the weight of the Osage? Most of my bows are Ocean Spray which is even heavier I believe. OS has an SG of around 1.00. I try to make the limbs narrow. I usually start the limb at about 1 1/8" and taper evenly to 5/16-3/8". I don't think they have much hand shock but then I wouldn't know hand shock if it bit me.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 09:31:45 pm »
if you slightly whip tiller ,, you can have nice shooting bow,, a shorter bow will work to,, what you like is the most important,, try shorter one and see what you think,, maybe the whip tillered long bow is your style,, Tim Baker made some nice longish bows that performed very well,,, I like all bows so I think I am the wrong one to ask,, :)

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 10:59:36 pm »
If you've never made a shorter bendy bow it's time you did.
Fun to make and shoot, and you'll learn plenty of new things

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 07:48:57 am »
60 to 64 is my preference if it is for me. No real  reason they just shoot nice, good endurance  and safety for my draw length and work well in a stand. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 08:16:24 am »
Nothin wrong with the longer bows. I too prefer to shoot a longer bow unless I'm hunting from a blind or something, and even then I will go as long as I can fit in the blind (usually 62").

My preferred bow length is 62-66" which isn't that long except that I'm only 62" tall and might draW 26".

I own one bow which I believe is 70" and I also really like shooting it, so darn accurate, quiet, and low stack.

I do think at wizard goat is right though. Try out a shorty, and a mid length just for the heck of it. Say a nice 58"er and a 62/64" or something like that. I think you'll also be surprised to see how little wood it takes to make a short bendy handle bow.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 08:57:01 am »
This was a fun pot stirring discussion/debate!!!!  >:D :laugh:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44056.0/nowap.html

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 11:14:03 am »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 01:00:52 pm »
I had a 71" osage and it shot REALLY slow.  I piked it 2" on each side, retillered it, now it bends in the handle as well.  Now its my favorite bow.  Very fast and accurate.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 09:58:32 am »
From what I've read and seen, longer bows seem to be a smidge more accurate and forgiving than comparitively shorter bows. I think this is because the longer limbs act almost like stabilizers. Shorter bows have the advantage of maneuverability in tight quarters. In my opinion all bows are accurate it just comes down to the shooter and the arrow in the end.
Whatever you are, be a good one.