Author Topic: Tillering An Elm ELB?  (Read 3881 times)

ozark caveman

Tillering An Elm ELB?
« on: February 07, 2008, 01:13:04 am »
Hey guy's! This is my first ELB. Should I put the horn nocks on before I tiller it?

Thanks

Rich Saffold

Re: Tillering An Elm ELB?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 03:07:04 am »
I'd get the tiller  past brace height, and tips shaped to fit the nocks first.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 04:43:25 am »
Hi,  I haven't made a lot of ELBs, but I tend cut some temporary nocks in the tips for use in tillering.   Then I glue on the tips and make final adjustments to the tiller.  I've read that that sequence was widely used in the past.  One of the main reasons is that a bow that is slightly under weight once the proper tiller is achieved, can be shortened to raise draw weight, without ruining all the work of the fancy horn nocks.  I'd like to say I'm such a stellar bowyer that my bows always come out right the first time, but I'd be lying.  The temporary nocks tend to be obliterated when the ends are shaped to fit into the horn tips.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

ozark caveman

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 09:34:22 am »
Thanks guy's!

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 11:40:51 am »
When you're tillering an ELB, if you put the horn nocks on first, you risk ending up with a whip tillered bow. To fit the nocks, you have to bring the tips of the bow to a point, removing a fair bit of material. I often use a tillering string with leather boots on each end. I get it 3/4 tillered, and then install the nocks.

SimonUK

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:07:42 pm »
abd, do you have a pic or a description of those leather boots? I've often wondered about doing that... it must be similar to a stringer I guess.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 01:23:38 pm »
Something I do on elbs very often is to just glue on temporary nock overlays, I cut a double nock groove on one of them so i can use a long string to help me brace the bow. If I like the bow when finished I grind off the nocks and install horn nocks if I choose. Steve

ozark caveman

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 10:11:47 pm »
Could you cut temporary nocks in the tips and when you have it close rasp the nocks out and put horn nocks on?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 10:20:10 pm »
Caveman,  That is exactly what I was trying to describe in my earlier post.  I also use a tillering string with boots on the ends early in the tillering.  Here's a photo of my tillering string ( with boots.)

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers