Author Topic: elm stave  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Spotted Dog

elm stave
« on: September 18, 2015, 01:06:59 am »
Ok I am searching for a long elm or hackberry stave. One that you could make a Molgabet or
a Meare Heath bow. Prefer 72" or above.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Re: elm stave
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 09:45:30 am »
I might have what you want if you don't mind doing a little work. I have one red elm stave that has been seasoned with the bark on but it is not straight, you will have to straighten it for use, it is about 70" long. I also have a 72" hackberry stave but I bought the stave and the person who cut it and sold it did not do a very careful job of removing the bark; they left gashes on the top of the stave with a draw knife. Luckily, there is plenty of depth that you could chase a ring, other than that it is a very clean stave. I also have three white ash staves that don't have problems like the other two, about 70" long, except that it is not the wood you were asking for. Let me if you're interested in these and I will post pics.

Thanks,

Aaron 

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 09:52:52 am »
How wide is the backs on them ?

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 10:07:40 am »
The hackberry is 3 1/2" wide on one end, 2" on the other, about 2 1/2" in the middle. I could only get pics of the hackberry because while I was moving around, getting my staves together, I woke up my mom and she told me to stop, so this is all I got right now.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 10:56:21 am »
I will get back to you. Got family coming in.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 11:05:29 am »
I could only get pics of the hackberry because while I was moving around, getting my staves together, I woke up my mom and she told me to stop, ...

:laugh:
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 12:10:48 pm »
I got an elm stave from a friend. 
Thanks!