Author Topic: My second attempt at Osage  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Swell

My second attempt at Osage
« on: August 05, 2015, 11:25:47 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site but have been looking at the forums for a good while now and just want to thank every member because you have probably helped me at some point with your input to the forums. I'm from Ohio and am fortunate enough to have private property in Southern Ohio that is plentiful with Osage. About 8 years ago my dads friend had asked to harvest an osage to make bows with, we had given him the okay and he took one tree down. That is when I became interested in all of this, bought a laminated recurve and started shooting and hunting with it. As years passed I could not stop thinking about making my own bow..So last year, not knowing a damn thing, I went out and cut a long 6" diameter limb from an Osage. Steamed it straight and tillered it best I could with no tillering tree, I took pics as I drew it back.. and backed it with Rawhide. . I'm sure you guys could point out a million flaws in it (as I can see close to that haha) but the point is I still finished it and more importantly I became obsessed with art of self bows.

So onto my second attempt at a selfbow....
Remember that tree that we let a family friend cut down? He stopped by my house two weeks after I finished my first bow (which he saw for the first time) and brought over his last stave from that tree he cut 8 years ago and gave it to me. A week or two after that he called and asked if I had started on it yet, which I at that point had just taken it to one growth ring. He said perfect, the guy who taught me everything I know said to bring that to his house and he wants to teach you beginning to end. I ,for a second, thought I had died and gone to heaven haha. Ken and I now meet once a week and I never go home without learning something new. He has forgotten more about bows than I will probably ever learn, and is one hell of a teacher. Anyways, now for the pictures of my 2nd osage self bow, still about 62# @ 27", will take it down to around 50# tonight. Thanks again guys for all the info I have soaked in from this site over the past few years.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: My second attempt at Osage
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:36:10 am »
Very nice, especially for it being only your second bow. Well done!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 11:48:19 am »
I agree Pat, nice work and appears to be a clean tiller.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 12:33:00 pm »
Congrats n welcome to pa and the fun!!!!  :)

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:51:41 pm »
Well done, that is a fine looking bow.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 01:02:09 pm »
Nice looking selfbow. Congrats and welcome to PA!
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 01:26:24 pm »
Nice bow and cool story.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 02:00:49 pm »
Good looking bend!
Oh, yeah, what was address of that prop w/ all the osage on it?  >:D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »
Nice bow, nice story
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 03:49:43 pm »
Nice looking bow for a second attempt! My second bow was a lot worse than my first one! Great story too! Welcome to PA! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 07:04:47 pm »
Very nice and welcome.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 07:10:56 pm »
Welcome ....... :)  nice 2nd
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 11:40:31 pm »
Nice bow, if it were me I would cut that rest off, move it up an inch or so and make myself a little more handle.

Offline Swell

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 01:15:54 pm »
Thanks everyone! much appreciated. And Eric, I was also thinking that I'm glad you mentioned it. My hand seems just a bit big for that and feels a little funny. I may chop it and use something else for a rest a bit higher up. And knoll I wish I could tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya ahahah! The majority of it will be gone this winter anyway after I stockpile some!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 03:47:22 pm »
Nice work Swell. That is a great second bow or any bow for that matter.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso