Author Topic: ipe glue up advice please( glue up #)BROKE ( resurrecting )  (Read 10177 times)

Offline sleek

ipe glue up advice please( glue up #)BROKE ( resurrecting )
« on: August 04, 2015, 12:54:49 pm »
I have 4 ipe slats about 1/4 thick 2 wide. I want to boo back them and I think I need a core wood. I have some mahogany slats for at least one core. Rumor has it tight bond III is no good on ipe. Im wanting a 50-55#@28 bow here. Going with stiff handle. Beyond that my first ipe will be a straight d bow with 2"reflex

How thick does the core need to be if my belly slats are 1/4 thick? can i get away with tight bond? How narrow can i go on the bow?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:58:09 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: ipe glue up advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 01:14:46 pm »
Rumor has it tight bond III is no good on ipe.
That's just nonsense. Titebond 3 works fine on any wood, including ipé, and bamboo.

I don't really like mahogany myself. As a core I'm sure it will work, but there are better woods.
Since you have quite a limited thickness, only 1/4", you'll need a core of sufficient thickness, preferably tapered. Depending on design, I'd make the core roughly 4 mm (handle) to 3 mm (tip) thick.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 01:16:00 pm »
Sleek - Search the Google for "Nelson UniBond 800".  You'll find the link there to information on the glue I'd recommend.  I wish we had spoken about it a bit more when you were here as I could have given you enough to make up a batch and try it out. 

Comments on Woodweb despair of EVER gluing Ipe, ( http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Gluing_Ipe.html ) but I know it is and can be done in bow building.  Many of the applications that fail are exterior use, and few of us leave our bows setting out in the rain and sun continuously.  :)

Surface prep is key.  It should be freshly worked and then very well wiped down with mineral spirits or acetone just prior to glue up.

OneBow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 01:21:09 pm »
TB3 doesn't work bad, but it slips unlike UniBond. Not sure if you remember my "Howard" bow? It was hickory backed ipe Hill styled. After a few hundred shots my riser slipped a bit and I can feel it in my fades. Im going to slice it off and glue it back on with Unibond, no more slipping.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 01:21:23 pm »
I use tb3 on mine sleek but i am probably gonna order some smooth on or a similar product, with the heat out here i need the extra working time , depending on the length i don't know if you really need a corr maybe a powerlam
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 01:33:08 pm »
Here's a link to a further discussion of surface prepartion for oily tropical woods from the Wood Database guys.  It has some good suggestions about technique for gluing up dense and oily woods.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/gluing-oily-tropical-hardwoods/

OneBow

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 01:42:38 pm »
Would a rounded belly hurt things?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 02:40:05 pm »
Not at all. But 1/4" of ipé is not enough thickness to allow for a rounded belly. You'd have to use two of those laminations to make it work.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 02:44:29 pm »
Sleek i bet that a bow 1-3/8" wide straight taper from fades 62"ttt will be all you need it don't take much epe to make a 50# bow

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 05:46:05 pm »
I have a 3/4" wide bamboo backing strip I am going to use to experiment with on my first bow.  Will try for 62" 45#@28. Gonna splice in limb tips as the ipe is only 52" long. Will do a mahogany core and tight bond III glue because this is what I have.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 05:54:21 pm »
TB3 doesn't work bad, but it slips unlike UniBond. Not sure if you remember my "Howard" bow? It was hickory backed ipe Hill styled. After a few hundred shots my riser slipped a bit and I can feel it in my fades. Im going to slice it off and glue it back on with Unibond, no more slipping.

I remember that bow pearl. Wonder if a thick long powe lam and a shorter riser with paper thin fades would fix that?

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 09:24:52 pm »
Is 1/4 too thick for the core lam?

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 09:36:17 pm »
Yup way to thick

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 09:39:52 pm »
Try 5/32 to 5/64

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 11:55:23 am »
Got it down to 5/32. Now, I am splicing in levers to take it out to 62". I wonder if 58" isnt better? I could deflex the handle then reflex the tips. Im not going for high draw weight...