Author Topic: TB3 Turned Black  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

TB3 Turned Black
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:29:47 am »
I found out something about Unibond glue the other day, It will set up hard as a rock in the can under the right conditions. I could leave Urac on my work bench for a year in the summer heat and it would always stay liquid. 6 months did in my unibond even though I moved it to the frig the last time is used it.

I had billets to splice and only had a bottle of TB3 so I proceeded. I was surprised to see the glue squeezed out of the joint turn black from the osage oils it was in contact with. Looks like my glued on handle will have a dark glue joint that won't be all that attractive.

My first time using TB3 on osage, is this discoloration normal.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: TB3 Turned Black
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:47:00 am »
Never heard of it or seen it Eric. I did make up a concoction of osage dust and TB3 to patch a splitting wedge tear out. It turned booger green, but only after stirring it and using a lot of fine dust. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 09:50:21 am »
I've had TB3 turn black on sugar maple too, I have no idea why it happened.
Springfield, MO

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 09:52:25 am »
I never heard of or seen it happen either and I've used TBIII on osage quite a bit
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowmo

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:27:52 am »
Not sure about the Tite Bond, but epoxies that have gone hard can simply be placed in hot water still in the can and will turn runny again.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 10:54:51 am »
I had it happen to TBII on oak and mahogany.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.