Author Topic: Little bit of advice needed.  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Deadshot

Little bit of advice needed.
« on: August 03, 2015, 11:04:41 am »
Hey guys I am new here, I need some advice  from you guys. I am looking to build an Bamboo back Ipe bow. Now I have never worked with either of these materials before. I am looking to do a reflex deflex bow. Advice on the best glue would be helpful. I know Ipe is quite an oily wood so not sure if Titebond 3 will work (what I currently have), or what the best ways are to get the best bond to the bamboo I can get.

Secondly a riser. I currently have my bamboo and Ipe sourced, but I am looking for riser wood. I am looking for something that will match the Ipe in colour and work well with it. Something maybe just a bit darker or lighter than the Ipe wood, any ideas? I was  personal thinking maybe one of these 3. Santos Rosewood, Cocobolo, or Kingwood. I live in the UK, and there are not any sellers close by to which I can visit and see for myself how they will match up. I have a source in which I would be looking to order a block of set dimensions. Hence why I need some help working out what will match well with the Ipe in gluing, but also look good.

Any other advice about building a bow like this with these woods would be helpful. Thanks

blackhawk

Re: Little bit of advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:24:52 am »
If youve made little to none bows before id skip the refelx deflex design...its gonna give ya too much of a headache to tiller properly...glue it up straight if so...id skip a riser for now as well as its just another thing to possisbly go wrong..you can use cork or leather to easily build  up a handle. Id worry more about how to tiller than trying to match wood for a riser.. ..if youve got a dozen or more successful bows then go for it.

Dont know what ya have available for glues in the uk,but id use a two part epoxy if i were you...ive done bows with the titebond glues and the two part epoxies,and ill never use a titebond glue again for my working limbs...hanldes n tips r fine tho...

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 02:50:03 pm »
   I glued a hickory backed ipe up this morning with tightbond. I have done a bunch of them with tightbond over the years. I have had a couple delaminate on me but I think it may have been because I skipped a step. I rub the glue into the wood with my fingers and it seems to help. I also use a 40 grit on my belt sander to prep the surface. I use to wipe down with alcohol but don't really find that neccessary. I think a light detergent on a damp rag preps the wood better.

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 10:14:56 pm »
I recently did a BBI with titebond 3- worked great.I cleaned the ipe and boo with acetone before glueup. just do a gentle reflex design and skip the R/D and riser for your first bow
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:27:48 pm by aaron »
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 02:14:52 am »
I have glued over 200 bows with TB3 and have never had a problem. It's all about surface prep.  TB3 needs perfect mating surfaces everywhere. It's downside is joint creep and this will get you in risers. I personally use Smooth-On now and can tell you where to get it in the UK if you want.
There is also another school of thought on acetone - yes it cleans oils of the surface of the wood but it also pulls more oil up from in the wood....
Where do you live in the UK? I can sort you out with riser wood no problem. Good luck find cocobolo and kingwood! Beware of buying tropicals from woodyards they will NOT be dry enough. Likely no less less than 13% m.c. and a riser needs to be below 10% before you should even consider using it. The shrinkage as it dries will do bad things! I buy my riser wood and then dry it over a couple of years, gradually moving it to progressively lower humidity areas.
Get the straightest grained ipe you can find and absolutely no pin knots in your lams.
Again if you need materials I can help you, help with your form etc - just send me a PM
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:33:22 am by mikekeswick »

Offline Deadshot

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 01:53:24 pm »
Cool thanks guys. I have done a few flat bows before, all of which worked no problem. This is my first bow I want to do with different woods I am not use to working with and with a small reflex of some sort in the tips. Thanks for the advice. :)