Author Topic: boo backed red oak?  (Read 7126 times)

Offline Onebowonder

Re: boo backed red oak?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 01:25:56 pm »
I think he might have beat the problem of some of the set issue at the same width he has if we had taken time to toast the Red Oak belly on each bow real well, ...but there was a birthday deadline, and there really wasn't all that much set.  If the set issue gets any worse, that might still be a reasonable option to pursue.  ...but it probably won't.  The kids will likely not ever pull the bows out to the 28 inches they are tillered to. 

So, ...yes, the performance is not optimal, but it is fine.  Both bows were able to bury the target arrows 8 - 10 inches into the target block at 20 yards, and more than that is really just over kill for a kids bow.  Would I hunt deer with them?  Certainly NOT!  ...but I could give rabbits and squirrels heck all day long with them.   >:D 

A well designed tool is not necessarily the one that performs at the optimal end of the possible performance for the material it is made from, rather, a well designed tool is the one that meets the purpose for which it was designed effectively using the materials that were selected.

OneBow

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2015, 02:02:22 pm »
How wide did you make the ro sleek, in my experience with it i would have gone close to two wide at the fade most boo is 1-1/2" wide giving an easy trap and toast a little reflex into the red oak not much an inch or so then glue it up with a little perry reflex and it should have come out flat at the worst, nice looking bows

Or just use osage the next time and get waaaay better results,and a narrower "sleeker" bow  ;)   :laugh:

But those will work n  do well for a couple of kids that wont care about the stuff us bowyers worry about  ;)

Well now that's a given ain't it 😏
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2015, 05:20:17 pm »
I think he might have beat the problem of some of the set issue at the same width he has if we had taken time to toast the Red Oak belly on each bow real well, ...but there was a birthday deadline, and there really wasn't all that much set.  If the set issue gets any worse, that might still be a reasonable option to pursue.  ...but it probably won't.  The kids will likely not ever pull the bows out to the 28 inches they are tillered to. 

So, ...yes, the performance is not optimal, but it is fine.  Both bows were able to bury the target arrows 8 - 10 inches into the target block at 20 yards, and more than that is really just over kill for a kids bow.  Would I hunt deer with them?  Certainly NOT!  ...but I could give rabbits and squirrels heck all day long with them.   >:D 

A well designed tool is not necessarily the one that performs at the optimal end of the possible performance for the material it is made from, rather, a well designed tool is the one that meets the purpose for which it was designed effectively using the materials that were selected.

OneBow

Well said buddy. They will do exactly what they were made for. Make 2 young kids very happy and introduce them to archery. Plus they won't break on them. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 05:46:31 pm »
I wasn't criticising the bows they are fine looking bows, just trying to address the set that sleek was talking about
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 06:14:50 pm »
I wasn't criticising the bows they are fine looking bows, just trying to address the set that sleek was talking about

Yeah - Sleek was kicking himself about the set too.  It was kinda an odd deal, ...again, 'caused by hurry.  Sleek actually glued up the boo on either side of a single Oak board and then ripped the board down the middle after the glue had setup.  Hopefully he'll provide some pics of that.  I would've ruined one side or the other, but I guess Sleek is pretty danged good with the band saw.  This method prevented being able to glue in some reflex from the outset.  Then, with not having time for doing the belly toasting, some set was just gonna happen.

OneBow

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 07:08:38 pm »

When you glue up like this, you cant put in reflex, but boy it saved me time. I dont have a working bandsaw so I had to glue it up on both sides to dry while going to hang out with Patrick and Eric's to use the bandsaw. As you can also see, I didnt have much width to work with on this glue up. I left the first 6" past the power lamb parallel the went pyramid on the taper. The glue is tight bond III, except the handle. I used ca glue at Pats suggestion to save time..  Worked great. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 07:15:25 pm »

Full draw for the lefty. He is 11, and it seems he is managing just fine.

Offline sleek

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 07:20:14 pm »

And for the righty. She is 8 and lools like drawing that bow is not a problem. She struggled to get it back that far. I told her not to let her ear get in the way on the release.

Offline sleek

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 07:21:51 pm »

Drew the line free hand to rip it in half.

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 07:22:46 pm »

power lams

Offline sleek

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 07:24:18 pm »
ripped.

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 07:25:31 pm »

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 07:59:14 pm »

This has a red oak power lamb.  The other got sapele.

Offline sleek

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 08:03:46 pm »
Thats all the pics I got for them.

Interesting thing to learn. 30#@28 is a good weight for kids to draw at all ages of life. the older they get, the stronger and longer their draw. A 30# bow@28 seems to keep up with that.

Offline TolkienFan

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2015, 08:31:11 pm »
I am making a boo backed red oak right now too. Red Oak was the only decent board I had and wanted to make one while my staves are drying. I rushed the tiller and it got a decent hinge that ended up lightening the draw up way more than I wanted. I am going to treat the belly and cut an inch off of each side and see what I can get out of it. Def learned a lot from it.

I am impressed with yours though. They look way nicer than what I've got so far.  And I would have loved to have them growing up!

“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.”