Author Topic: boo backed red oak?  (Read 7121 times)

Offline sleek

Re: boo backed red oak?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 09:10:10 pm »
I think he might have beat the problem of some of the set issue at the same width he has if we had taken time to toast the Red Oak belly on each bow real well, ...but there was a birthday deadline, and there really wasn't all that much set.  If the set issue gets any worse, that might still be a reasonable option to pursue.  ...but it probably won't.  The kids will likely not ever pull the bows out to the 28 inches they are tillered to. 

So, ...yes, the performance is not optimal, but it is fine.  Both bows were able to bury the target arrows 8 - 10 inches into the target block at 20 yards, and more than that is really just over kill for a kids bow.  Would I hunt deer with them?  Certainly NOT!  ...but I could give rabbits and squirrels heck all day long with them.   >:D 

A well designed tool is not necessarily the one that performs at the optimal end of the possible performance for the material it is made from, rather, a well designed tool is the one that meets the purpose for which it was designed effectively using the materials that were selected.

OneBow

You could certainly give them heck.... if you concentrate a bit more on tjat left handed shooting of yours ;)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 09:14:15 pm »
I wasn't criticising the bows they are fine looking bows, just trying to address the set that sleek was talking about

I appreciate it bubby. But as has been stated, time cconstraints and building methods as a result prevented much of the options for set control. I figure later if they want stronger bows,  a belly lam of osage may be in order. Then things will improve. For now, they will send arrows down range very well.

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 09:20:30 pm »
Eric I want to thank you on here also for your help on finishing these. The strings, the materials, and the deer tine arrow passes. Not to mention food, drink, conversation and good all round company. Thanks buddy.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 12:26:27 am »
My pleasure entirely!!!

OneBow