Author Topic: Rubbed Earth Pigments Question  (Read 1377 times)

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
Rubbed Earth Pigments Question
« on: July 24, 2015, 03:24:43 pm »
I was wondering if anyone could provide some suggestions. I've seen a few beautiful bows on here that incorporated rubbed earth pigments. Aside from say, iron oxide and lamp black, what are some other pigments you've used? Do you purchase pigments or harvest them yourself?

I've also seen bone marrow suggested as a sealer/finish and was wondering how you would extract it and prepare it for that purpose? I've got some beef knuckles in the freezer and would love to try it.

Thanks to all you and your beautiful work. Hopefully soon I'll have a bow to contribute. If I'm careful I'll have one to post in the next weeks.  :D
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline Drewster

Re: Rubbed Earth Pigments Question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 06:04:34 pm »
Andrew, I get pigments from Earth Pigments.  They have a wide selection of colors....most anything you would want.  I've used a paraffin finish over them but am sure many other finishes would work as well. 
Can't help with the bone marrow question.
Drew - Boone, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 03:06:39 am »
Man If I rubbed bone marrow on my bows I'd be fearing for them  :) My dog goes nuts for bone marrow! When I give her a bone she gets all the meat off and then I take it to the bandsaw and cut it in half so she can get all the marrow...you've never seen a dog sit to attention so well when she smells that bone hit the blade  :D

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 04:34:17 pm »
I've used all sorts of ochres and other mineral pigments- usually mixed with dilute hide glue. To make these yourself, first grind up the rock as fine as you can. Next, put it in a jar with water and shake/stir. let it stand for a minute or so- this causes the big chunks to settle out. Then pour off the water into another jar. Now, you have dirty looking water in the second jar and a slurry of bigger pigment in the first jar. The dirty water in the second jar contains the most finely ground pigments. Let it stand for a day or so and the fine pigments will eventually settle out. carefully remove or evaporate the water, and what's left is pigment powder fine enough to use. Regrind the big chunks from the first jar and repeat.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline DesertDisciple

• Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 05:30:25 pm »
Thanks for the replies! Kind of an off the wall question I guess.

Drewster- I'm definitely more interested in collecting them than purchasing them, although I looked and prices are very reasonable for pigments.

Mikekeswick- I'm with your dog on that! Bone marrow is one of my favorite 'treats' lol. I'll sacrifice some for a worthy cause though.

Aaron- thanks for the explanation. I suppose you just find rocks that contain the colors you're after? Should I look in areas with iron deposits for best results?

Thanks again!
Best Regards,

Andrew

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 06:29:02 pm »
look for "known" deposits of ochre or other rocks historically used for pigments. I have some rocks like that if you are interested in a trade...
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"