Author Topic: Back tension - consistent draw - good release  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Little John

Back tension - consistent draw - good release
« on: June 19, 2015, 12:39:49 am »
We have all been thru shooting slumps, for me it always ends up being an a back muscle tension issue. Well I just learned this or maybe re learned it, but if you will anchor good and push hard with your bow arm at the target you will have it all, back tension, deep and consistant draw, and good release with out dropping the shoulder, or a sinking release. My shooting is back to where I am proud of it. I think that the push to the target is key, Mr. Asbell talks about it in his instinctive shooting book.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Back tension - consistent draw - good release
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 04:53:39 am »
Very true Kenneth, and also true most all of us go through it from time to time, just making yourself believe you have a problem and doing something about it is the hardest part. Then go about fixing it instead of just letting it drag on and get worse, it's like AA," I am Pappy and I have a form problem."  ;) ;D ;D ;D I really struggled with it a while back but seem to be back on track now, but not without admitting I had trouble and just deciding to fix it. ;) :) So many you see have a problem but just won't take the time and effort to work on it. ??? Also seems to be worse in the self bow folks for some reason. :-\ By the way good to hear from you, seems it has been a while since I've seen you post. Hope all is going good for you. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 07:01:15 am »
Thanks Pappy, I just hope others can benefit if they are having some of the same issues. I some how got logged off PA and could not remember my password, then the other day it just popped back into my head. Glad to be back logged on and able to post. Have a great weekend.       Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 07:33:01 pm »
I've been shooting on and off in the back yard for a while now with low weight bows, but just recently got serious and working on proper form is tough. It's made especially tough when the style I've chosen to pursue is not very common. I'm shooting Manchu style with thumb ring. I can find a lot of written information on the net but instructional video beyond showing the novelty of the thumb ring is hard to find and no one in the area to give hands on corrections and feedback etc. so I'm kinda learning form on my own, not easy, lol. A little tip here, and hint there and I'm making improvements and proper back tension was just one of those tips that has helped a lot.

Offline neuse

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 07:13:48 am »
Moebow, has some great youtube videos on all things about shooting and form.

He has one video example using a rubber band, I like practicing that one.

Byron