Author Topic: whats the weight gain per inc of piking?  (Read 3279 times)

Offline beartail

whats the weight gain per inc of piking?
« on: July 22, 2015, 10:39:16 am »
I know piking is kind of like cheating and sometimes you have to adjust the tiller and you loose those extra pounds anyway but isn't it usually about 5# per inch of reduction? its been a while since I have piked a bow.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: whats the weight gain per inc of piking?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 10:43:26 am »
Dunno, but the easy way to see is to bind the string to the limb an inch or so down and test it...
It lets you try without chopping the bow.
I don't think you can gain much, maybe 5# or so, but it only works with perfect tiller and a bow that isn't going to end up overstressed by being shortened.
I often make a bow (English longbows) an inch too long on each limb just to give a bit of leeway.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 12:32:13 pm »
What Del said.
One inch from both ends will get you around 5#, probably more set and more stress depending on the tiller and whether the present length is more than the minimum.

For me, he minimum is double your draw and add 10-20% depending on the wood. Osage will take  to be shorter at 10% min. and white woods closer to 20%. Take into account the condition of the stave such as if it is knotted.

Again that's my minimum.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 03:32:43 pm »
0#. Because you make the fades and inner limbs more stressed by shortening the lever of the outer limb. You must retiller after piking and all weight gains are lost. Only advantage is on a whip tillered bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 04:09:02 pm »
Around 5# most of the time. I usually try to tiller my limbs so the same tiller with an inch off the end isn't a bad thing. It's basically like pulling the pre-piked bow until the point an inch down from the tips reaches the same position as the tips during the short draw. If your bow can take that you're good to go.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 06:02:54 pm »
5# per limb and sometimes a little more. I have piked a bunch of lower limbs that got weak over time. I never saw the reduced performance that Mr Sleek mentioned or had to do much retillering except to drop the piked limb a pound or two to get the timing back on the limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 11:57:08 am »
I once built a very long hickory bow of about 50#@28. I cut lower nocks to bring the weight up if I wanted to shoot a higher draw weight bow, or could use the higher tip nocos to shoot lower draw weight. The pike was a 4" difference.  When strng on the upper nocks the tiller was fine. When strung on the lower pike nocks the fades and inner limb were over stressed and the outter third was stiff.

Changing your bow length will change your tiller. Will it matter?  That depends on to many variables.  But you will drop weight if you retiller to bring it back around. If you do that there are no poundage gains.  This has been my experience.  I have noticed it on every bow I have piked. You could always add heat to the inner limbs to stiffen them to avoid weight loss of tiller removal.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bowmo

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 12:45:36 pm »
About 2.5 pounds per inch on normal length bows. So an inch or so off each limb with raise it around 5 pounds.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 12:51:40 pm »
I've never had that problem. I've had to re-tiller but always when I'd overlooked something and it became more apparent in the shortened bow, it usually didn't take all five pounds to scrape it out. A lot of the time I haven't even re-tillered, the wood was bending proportionally through the whole limb so the limb was ready to be bent farther for any given draw.

Besides mollegabets none of my bows could survive having two sets of nocks four inches apart, at four inches I'm still squeezing out the slightest shadow of bend as according to the width of the material.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 02:23:14 pm »
piking does work, I am sure there are times it does not,,on a bow that is overbuilt it can help improve performance as well,, just depends on the bow for sure,,but is a good option for some instances  :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 04:23:46 am »
What Eric said is my experience on the subject. I use to do it a lot, not so much anymore, guess I have gotten a little better and hit weight most of the time. ;) and by the way it's not cheating in my opinion you do what needs to be done to come out with the bow you want. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good