Author Topic: half eye's latest Close range stopper  (Read 3902 times)

Offline half eye

half eye's latest Close range stopper
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:33:35 pm »
This is one I just finished up and am currently working up a load for it....73 cal, Mauser, paper patch 1OZ slug, 3 10 gauge wads. Slugs flatten out to average of 1-1/4 inches. Enjoy the pics....the cartridges for comparison are 265grn 35 Whelen.
rich

Offline unkieford

Re: half eye's latest Close range stopper
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:47:50 pm »
Good Lawd! That thing could kill 2 Dinosaurs at once... one in front, and the one firing it!  >:D

Seriously, that IS very cool. Would be interested in reading some more data on velocity, and kinetic energy from that beastie.

---Ford---

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:16:02 pm »
Wow! I love guns, and that good sir, is a very serious gun!

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 10:31:18 pm »
Why is the muzzle like that?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:57:19 pm »
Now that's a bear stopper or is it for hunting engine blocks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 11:08:18 pm »
Thats some serious fire power rich, that is way cool
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 02:48:08 am »
     Charging bull Moose or Grizzer wouldn't stand a chance  :o :o :o Love the mauser action and flash suppressor, looks absolutely wicked >:D...How's the recoil?
                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 04:22:13 am »
Way cool ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 11:12:42 am »
Thank you for the comments fellas. The only real purpose for these types is big game in thick cover and the closest I'm ever gonna get would be a black bear and that dont seem fair.....on the other hand if your gonna hunt 'em on the ground then it's going along.

This gun is about 100 years old and was factory converted about 90-95 years ago, so I'm working up the right load. There is no data for brass, smokeless powder 12 gauge slug loads. The issue is also the wads (no plastic in my guns) anyways I think I have it fairly close now. I'm right around 1580 to 1600 fps now, no signs of pressure either in case dimensions, primer measurements etc.

There is no reloading set-up. no press, dies etc. Old school hand work so here is some pics of my complicated set up.....ya right. The main deal with large bore, straight wall cases is not just the bullet weight but striking area of that bullet.

DC...that squared tube does 2 things....flash suppressor for vision in low light, but also works as an expansion chamber for the muzzle gasses. It flattens out the report to a very dull roar instead of a supersonic "blast".

Don, unkieford....when I pay my dime I want my ride....all of it. Recoil is not really all that bad but thats relative to the shooter. It's some stiffer than hot loaded 45-70-500

Pat, never give that a thought, but hell man ya never know if your gonna get caught in engine block stampeed >:D ;)

Thanks again fellas
rich
forgot to say the first pic ya see different colored primers....use magic markers to designate different charges in different loads ( color code)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 11:58:05 am »
There is a .50 cal AR that is called the Block Buster. It is used in the Mid East at check points to stop drive trough's.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 12:35:53 pm »
Impressive gun.  Lyman has a comprehensive shotgun reloading manual
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 03:04:24 pm »
Thanks Pat

Marc, I'm familiar with most reloading manuals. In this case the issue with using most load data is that the brass 12ga has significantly thinner case walls than the paper or plastic cases. The myriad of shotgun shell components will just flop around inside the brass case. There are a lot of loads for brass with black powder but none (by reputable institutions) for stacked oversize felt wads and the paper patched bullet. An example would be that I patch these slugs to an outside diameter of .750 for use in my .722 bore. Anyway I thank you for the information, sir.
rich

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 08:35:41 am »
Is the bore rifeled?

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline half eye

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 08:45:41 am »
Runner, no sir it's smooth bore. That's why I paper patch to over bore dimensions. Sort of like shooting 45colt pistol rounds down a 410 bore. out to 75yds they are very accurate. ( accuracy is sufficient for sharp clean kills but not "tack-driver" size)
rich

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 09:16:51 am »
I did a lot of experimenting with shotgun slugs many years ago, both 12 and 20 gauge.  Even though slugs are light compared to shot loads they actually benefit from slow burning powders giving you high velocity while keeping pressure down.  It is surprising how the load and different types of powder affect the accuracy of the slug though. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com