Author Topic: what to do next?  (Read 2679 times)

Offline sailordad

what to do next?
« on: February 06, 2008, 12:57:21 am »
    Hi everyone,
I've been working on this hickory stave. only power tool I have used so far is the band saw to take away some mass from the stave. most of the reduction work has been done with a draw knife,sureform and rasp. I have the stave down to 2.3 inches thick at the handle and tapers to the end of the stave which is 1.3 inches thick yet,the width is a fairly even 2 inches down the entire length.. It is not floor tillered as of yet,which is where my question comes in: at this time do I want to narrow the width to the rough shape of the bow now,or do I want to continue with achieving floor tiller first? I don't really know what design I'm trying for other than I want it to be about 1.75 inches wide and to start to taper to the tip about 9 inches up the limb to a tip width of about .563 or 9/16ths of an inch. with a length of 58 inches noc to noc.
I'm looking for a draw weight of about 45-50 lbs @ about 26-27 inches. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 I would post pics,but can't seem to get it to work at this time,and I am pretty ignorant when it comes to this computer thing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PEACE,
                                                                                    Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: what to do next?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 01:13:59 am »
Tim. I usually start a bow's limb at about 3/4" thick at the fades and reduce the thickness by 1/8"(mol) and test by floor tiller, then a little more off and floor tiller, etc. I prefer a farriers rasp until I get to 4" of floor tiller then I use a long string and the tiller tree to see how well the limbs are bending and are they bending the same. After that I use only a Nicholson #49 rasp(and half round rasp will do fine) and scraper.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:16:05 am »
>>he width is a fairly even 2 inches down the entire length.<<

Mark the center line from tip to tip so you can get the string centered.
I would get the outline of the bow cut: handle area, fades, limb taper to the tips.
Leave it a little wider than your final dimensions to allow for rounding and sanding. By tapering the limbs you will have started the wood removal process to get the limbs bending.
Then I do just like Pat B

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 01:27:32 am »
>>he width is a fairly even 2 inches down the entire length.<<

Mark the center line from tip to tip so you can get the string centered.
I would get the outline of the bow cut: handle area, fades, limb taper to the tips.
Leave it a little wider than your final dimensions to allow for rounding and sanding. By tapering the limbs you will have started the wood removal process to get the limbs bending.
Then I do just like Pat B

Me too.  Get the bow roughed out before you start to floor tiller. If you floor tiller first it will be whip ended. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:49:30 am »
like Pat said, your limbs are going to be pretty thin on a short wide limbed bow like that, I wouldnt be afraid to take it right down to half a inch at the fades and taper 7/16" at the tips.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....