Author Topic: "Jupiter" Snakey Hickory Board  (Read 1350 times)

Offline make-n-break

"Jupiter" Snakey Hickory Board
« on: July 17, 2015, 12:31:57 am »
Here's a hickory board that I posted a few months back that needed a complete overhaul. I said I'd post pics of the new look when I got around to it so here they are.

Changes: different color, new wraps, tiller change and very slightly flipped tips.

I named it "Jupiter" for the colors and the snakey layout which reminds me of the wavey look of Jupiter's clouds and storms. That's the astrological symbol for Jupiter. 

68" ttt, 53@28" after a revamped tiller. 1.75" wide until mid limb then tapered to approx 1/2" tips.  This one was a real challenge for me to tiller. It has pretty severe prop twist and I'm not used to the snakey limbs or that much twist. I heat treated the bottom limb several times to try to stiffen it up but it's still a little weak. When looking at the bend in the mirror it looks like the upper limb fade area is still too strong but this bow has won the battle. It shoots good as is and I trust hickory, so I'm leaving it alone lol.

It's has a slightly cut in shelf and a red oak veneer to stiffen up the shelf area. Side nocks. Jute and hemp wraps. This one's joining us at Mojam tomorrow and will be in the hands of my comrade. Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:38:33 am by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline make-n-break

Re: "Jupiter" Snakey Hickory Board
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 12:35:00 am »
Couple more. I forgot to take one of the unbraced profile and have to finish packing, but it took 1.25" and 1.5" of set.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 04:23:24 am »
Excellent job, that's a beauty!!
I like osage

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 09:07:53 am »
Wow! Very nice. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:38:05 am »
Nice hickory snake.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC