Author Topic: elm harvest question  (Read 1415 times)

Offline bushboy

elm harvest question
« on: July 16, 2015, 11:39:44 am »
I kinda thought that only time the bark would peel easily was from the time the sap was up until about now.i made a comment on another sight and the guy said august was his favorite time to cut and peel. I'm still pretty new at this so some input would be great!also I think right now is a little late to cut because the new ring is half built.is it better to wait till almost the end of the season?i like to get the bark off as soon as I can within reason.thx's bush!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: elm harvest question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 11:54:14 am »
Ive heard a million variations and opinions bushy. I cut when I can get the bark off. April, May, June, July or August is fine by me. While I cant argue the ring growth theory, I also cant prove it matters.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 12:18:27 pm »
The bark will slip while in the growing season and it sticks fast during the dormant season.  I prefer to cut early in the growing season so the ring that will be the back has had all winter to mature. Good bows can be built with wood cut any time of year with the summer being the best for whitewoods so the bark will peel revealing a pristine back. I've not tried whitewoods cut in mid or ate summer that I know of so I can't answer to that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 12:33:33 pm »
 The idea seems to be that you want the optimum thickness of outer growth ring Cutting at the beginning or end while the sap is up ensures that. Early on in the growing season will obviously leave a porous outer layer with early wood.
 An elm that's producing thick rings will surely be pretty solid from mid growing season on since it's putting down latewood via lunar rings then. >:D

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 12:44:23 pm »
Thx's 4 the replies!the last elm I cut was about two wks ago and the new ring seemed to come off with the bark.not sure but the bark of the latter stuff seemed a lot thicker than stuff I cut earlier on.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.