Author Topic: Hand tool dexterity  (Read 4320 times)

Offline ajooter

Hand tool dexterity
« on: July 13, 2015, 09:33:04 pm »
I was working on a bow last night and I noticed how I struggle to be able to use tools in my off hand.  Whether it be a rasp or hatchet I'm not very ambidextrous.  Anybody else notice this...or have you been doing this long enough your able to use both hands?

Offline Joec123able

Re: Hand tool dexterity
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:35:26 pm »
I use my right for everything I could never use both.
I like osage

Online sleek

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:50:06 pm »
I use both but not for everything. It takes a conscious effort to start with but after a while gets easier and rewarding. Give it a go.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 10:02:37 pm »
On a growth ring that has complicated features, I switch back and forth between my hands when using gouges and scrapers.  My right hand has much more strength, but the left can be more dextrous with certain tasks.

I was ambidextrous as a kid.  I used both hands with utensils and crayons and the like.  When I started first grade, my teacher would hit us with a ruler for using the left hand for anything.  It got so bad, she would tape my left hand to the side of my desk and tell me I would go to hell if I insisted on using the "devil's hand".  Worst of all....this was a public school!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 10:36:42 pm »
I was lucky. My Mom was a teacher in the school that I went to. When I started going home sick same time every day she want and saw my teacher. They determined that my teacher was trying to make me go right handed. Mom pulled rank. I was one of the first kids to go lefty. I do big things right handed. Hit a ball, golf. Detailed stuff I'm a lefty. Chopping wood and  shoveling both hands but I favor left. It's been very handy over the years. Twisting wrists I could usually beat someone with one hand or the other.

PS But I think I'm losing it. I'm planing a bamboo backing and my old arms were getting tired. I tried to switch but it wouldn't work. Use it or loose it :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:43:37 pm by DC »

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 10:52:34 pm »
I'm 90% righty. My right hand has all the power and finess, the left is mostly used for stabilization and a little extra power when needed. I can't use the left by its self to even use a spoon, when I try to eat lefty I look like an infant.

Kyle

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 11:16:06 pm »
 Almost 100% right handed

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 11:23:52 pm »
Left for finesse, right for strength. I write, use a hammer or small axe  left handed but throw or swing a sledge etc. right handed.
 Oddly I use a slingshot left-handed because of the ease of loading a rock with my more dextrous hand but shoot a bow right handed. Getting an arrow on the string quickly is probably the only thing my right is really coordinated at.

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 11:57:21 pm »
I write lefty and can do some things lefty but right handed. I have batted left and shot hockey pucks left.  Archery right and right eye dominant.   Some archers are righty but left eye dom and v/v.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 01:48:35 am »
I spent quite a while airbrushing for a living. You hold an airbrush with both hands, so my left hand got trained to do lettering and I didn't realize it. I saw one of the other artist showing off to a customer how he could write with both hands, write the same word in two places simultaneously with the left and right, and to my amazement write the same word frontwards with his left while at the same time writing the mirror image with his right hand. I tried it right then and got two out of three on my first try. I still can't do the mirror image thing, he put more effort into that than he led on.

If you left hand feels awkward try using your tools two handed for a while. You don't even need to apply a lot of muscle with your off hand. Your just getting familiar with the motion. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:43 am »
It's like my left hand don't even connect to my body. I can catch stuff or do things that are instinct with it but try and be precise with my left and you think I was blind.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 10:33:52 am »
My right provides the control, but I often use the left for power or steadying. Like when inlaying I hold the knife in the right but its supported on the left and the left thumb applies power.
I'm ambiphibious... I can write with either hand under water ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 12:42:18 pm »
  I've built over 100 bows all with hand tools (totally). I had 2 strokes in 06 I had to reteach myself to do everything left handed everything from eating to use of hand tools.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 12:47:07 pm »
I use both equally if I had to guess. I grab the tool with whatever hand I need to to work a given side, all feels the same to me for the most part. Playing drums helps your brain forget all about lefty/righty stuff.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 08:42:21 am »
I'm a lefty and have adapted to doing most things with both hands... a lot of right handed people "think" they do stuff with both hands until you truly watch them, or they work with a lefty, and will stop in their tracks confused as to why you're doing it different.  8)

Drew - St. Johns, Michigan