Author Topic: Patterned Jute backed red oak pyramid (branded it)  (Read 2397 times)

Offline make-n-break

Patterned Jute backed red oak pyramid (branded it)
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:14:46 pm »
Finished it today. This one was weird cuz when I bought the board it was perfect on all four sides, no run outs. After roughing out it looked all crazy. It had really thick rings that were hard to see. I don't think I layed it out quite right.

68" long, 1.75" at the widest tapering to bout 11/32. Turned out to be 45# at 27". Handle is 1" wide and has hickory and a red oak veneer. It's got tan sisal wrapping with brown jute accents. The bow's backed with burlap that has a pattern in it. I thought it looked sorta camo in a primitive painting kinda way.

After fussing and fighting with high stress designs and failures for a while, I forgot how smooth these long simple  pyramids shoot. I was hoping for 5 more pounds but I'm real happy with the way it turned out.

It's still "raw". It's only been burnished. Been shooting it in all afternoon. It took about 1.5" and 2" set cuz it was 100 degrees and miserably humid today. Only thing left to do is put some tb3 on all the wraps, burn in a name and stats, and slather it in lard. Just didn't think I'd have time to post pics again as I'm working overtime this week to make up the off time for Mojam. I'll be shootin this one there. Thanks for lookin'.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:05:48 pm by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline make-n-break

Re: Patterned Jute backed red oak pyramid
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 10:21:46 pm »
More
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 10:22:48 pm »
FD

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 10:28:24 pm »
Very cool looking bow. I can't wait to see it in person. See ya. In a few days. Well done!
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 10:35:36 pm »
Nice bow. My best shooter at present is one of those in a hickory.

How do you do the cedar insert into the bamboo, if I may inquire? I toss a lot of failed dowels when I make cedars from board. It would be nice to find a use for some of it.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 11:21:14 pm »
Thanks Dvs! I'll be there Friday and Saturday. See ya soon.

Dakota, I'm not sure I'm following what you mean by cedar and bamboo, but I think you mean the red oak string stop wrapped in sisal. Here's a diagram to show what I do with this style. I use superglue to adhere and the square starts out as a 1.5" wide by 1.5" long and 1/8th thick square of red oak. Then i rasp the sides to match the limbs and taper as shown in the pic. Then just wrap it with your favorite fiber. Hope this helps.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 11:37:40 pm »
Looks like your making more than breaking. Congrats looks nice.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline GB

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 12:43:13 am »
That's a fine looking bow.  Nice work!
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 12:49:00 am »
I'm sorry I should have explained further. The one pic of the nock has a trade point on 3" of cedar shaft for scale. I assumed it was an insert for a bamboo shaft. I recently read in another post about doing that and assumed that's what it was for. I'm not sure if it was your post that I had read that in, but was under the impression that it was.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline arachnid

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 12:49:41 am »
I love pyramid bows.
Very nice, I realy like the "primitive" look with the wraps and all...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 04:35:19 am »
Very nice job. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 06:46:11 am »
That's a nice un!  Tips and backing look great.  Look forward to seeing it at MoJam.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 09:46:39 am »
Thanks for all the kind words gents.

Dakota, honestly it's just a peice of shaft that I chopped off to practice my hafting. It has no formal use.

Offline make-n-break

Re: Patterned Jute backed red oak pyramid (branded it)
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 10:41:55 pm »
Last pic. Not tryin to keep the thread alive, just wouldn't be right to leave it without a name. Called it "Saturn" because the light neutral colors remind me of Saturn and I like astrology. That's the symbol for Saturn. It lost weight after shooting in for two afternoons in 100+ degrees and 90% humidity. I'm sure it'll pick up a little when it dries out, but I just went with what the scale said today. Oh well, still hunting weight!  :)

I'm a little grouchy about how the branding turned out. I could have made it look much thinner, cleaner and sharper if it weren't for my cruddy wood burner. See you all in a couple days. Hope Mojam has been awesome so far for the early birds!