Author Topic: String Length  (Read 1975 times)

Offline DC

String Length
« on: July 13, 2015, 05:30:46 pm »
I just made my second attempt at a double loop Flemish twist string. They both came out short. I make the first loop fine. I've driven a couple of nails in my bench to duplicate the old string. I start the second loop and then slip the completed loop over one nail. I bend the start of the second loop around the second nail. But, as I twist the second loop the twisting uses up some string and the whole thing gets shorter. Combine the getting shorter with any slippage/stretching and so far making a good double loop string looks like a crap shoot. Can anyone give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: String Length
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 05:34:01 pm »
Use a bowyers knot on the bottom limb,  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 05:42:26 pm »
Your nail spacing should be about 16 inches longer than your finished string length.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:48:35 pm »
"16 inches longer"   thats a good thing...!   try a bowline knot.  It self tightens and always comes loose.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:56:54 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:58:38 pm »
Get some simple plans for a string Jig that will give you the right finished length. If you are using the wrap around the sendnail tecnique you will likely be about 2"  two short. Move your nail up 2 inches.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 08:01:35 pm »
Cut bundles 12" longer than bow, 16" longer than string.

come in about a fist's width from the first end and start twisting the loop toward the mass of the string, overlap, twist pulling out tag ends, put in twice as much twist as you need.

Straighten the bundles. I clamp off the end of the initial twist to keep it from coming undone as I roll the string with my hands and finally comb out the tangle in my bundles.

Go to the other end. You'll be twisting the loop toward the end/away from the body of the bundles so remember that when you're done with the loop you want there to be about a fist's length of strands to overlap. From here repeat just what you did for the first loop and as you go press your finger into the far/first twist to straighten the bundles in the body of the string. When both ends have an equal length of twist and the center bundles are straight  you're ready to tighten the string just a bit and put it on a bow or string stretcher.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 08:30:30 pm »
Here are some directions for a 2 bundle Flemish string. You don't need a jig but they are handy and I use one.

2 different colored spools make it easier. I use B 50.

Measure your ntn distance. I add 12 inches to that.  You'll have to experiment with that value and add or subtract some.

The first string of each bundle is the full ntn distance + the 12 inches or so. Step down each successive string by 1 inch resulting in a 1/2 inch difference on either end.

I tie  7 strings per bundle. Wax them and twist'em. No way I can describe the Flemish twist..sounds like a song...and the subsequent serving process. Lots of You Tube videos around though.

BTW I start the loop twist at 9 inches per loop. I tie a double loop string. You can make the loops to fit your nocks. Make the bottom loop tight enough to stay on the nock.

After tying the first loop put a twist tie around it or it unravel when you tie the second; remove all other twists.

A good Flemish string has 1-3 twists per inch and one is better than 3.

:)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!