Author Topic: Waxing serving  (Read 2101 times)

Offline DC

Waxing serving
« on: July 13, 2015, 03:18:50 pm »
I read somewhere that you shouldn't wax serving. Anybody know a "why" if it's even true?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Waxing serving
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 03:24:20 pm »
I wax the serving to help prevent fraying. No one ever told me not to.  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 03:29:52 pm »
Just use BCY Halo serving, you'll wear out the string and the serving will still look like the day you put it on, wax or no wax :)

I read once that for trad shooters it "supposedly" makes it dangerously slippery for your fingers, and for wheelie bows it can make the D loop slip. Also works its way down into the serving and causes it to slide around on the string. All sounds a little silly to me tho.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:34:06 pm by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 03:34:44 pm »
I read it in "Shooting the Stickbow". I did a Google search and the only info I could find was about crossbows and wheelie bows. They were concerned about wax buildup in wheels and gears and such.

I priced some serving thread the other day and just about lost my lunch. $25 for a spool about the size of  a sewing machine spool. I've been using Dyneema. $25 for 300yds

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 03:41:13 pm »
You can find Halo for bout $10- $19 on the big auction site, free shipping. The spool looks kinda small but you'd be surprised how much is on there. I've served dozens of Flemish strings with the same color and have used maybe half the spool.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 03:57:12 pm »
Good bee's wax will make it sticky if you over do it, other than that I cant see why it matters. I do as Pat does. Usually I wax the entire string at the build point, then just the string portion after that about once a year, I use dyneema's. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 04:25:40 pm »
Thanks guys. I couldn't see what was wrong with it. I hate it when an author says,"Don't do such and such." and doesn't give a reason. Makes me think they don't know either.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 04:46:06 pm »
Authors are just guys with a pen and paper. Like the internet, everything you read isn't true.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 04:51:25 pm »
It isn't?????? >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 05:08:34 pm »
What are the qualitys of good serving string? I personally just use the same string I make the rest of the string from works fine for me never needed a different type of string.
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 05:36:53 pm »
The serving is just to protect the bow string. What the serving is made of probably doesn't matter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 06:49:09 pm »
Gotcha thanks
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 03:12:24 am »
I use BCY #62XS which is very similar to Halo mentioned above. Make and break is right the best servings outlast your string! If you haven't used this stuff before I strongly recommend it. Well worth the money as it outlasts everything else i've tried many times over.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 12:44:40 pm »
 If you read it on the web it's got to be true.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING