Author Topic: Hatchet for bow building?  (Read 1870 times)

Offline punch

Hatchet for bow building?
« on: July 17, 2015, 06:17:46 pm »
What should I be looking for in a hatchet for bow building?  Will any one due?  I am looking for something not too expensive. 

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Hatchet for bow building?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:31:50 pm »
It depends on what you want to do with it exactly, but if you're talking in an all around sense find one that feels comfortable and easy to control/ light enough & thin. Secondly, one that holds an edge is a good idea or you'll spend more time at the grinder than bow making.

I rarely use a hatchet aside from splitting staves. My favorite chopping tool for shaping is an old meat cleaver. I get a lot more control out of it. There's also a lot to be said for a good draw knife. I bought a vintage one on ebay for half the cost of a new one and I guarantee the steel is twice as good as any thing made today. It still had a factory edge when I got it. I had to hunt for it though there were a lot of them that had seen better days.

If you're buying new read the reviews online for that brand if it's junk someone will have pointed it out.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:36:00 pm »
Any sharp hatchet that you can control will work fine for building bows. Some hatchet styles are more appropriate than others but not necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 11:22:47 pm »
I found that grinding an asymmetrical edge on the old heavy hatchets makes a great carving hatchet. Like drawknives and spokeshaves blades, it is hard to beet the old steel.

Do a search for:

Tim Manney Chairmaker Carving Axe Part 2: Edge Geometry and Grinding
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso