Author Topic: ? about nock overlay material  (Read 8509 times)

Offline DC

Re: ? about nock overlay material
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2015, 03:23:50 pm »
If you really must have the "look" do a google search on "Plastic eagle talons", 35 cents each.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2015, 03:26:18 pm »
Crazy Crow, a PA sponsor, carries all sorts of fake talons, teeth and other stuff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 05:07:00 pm »
This isn't a racial preference thing. It is all about the rights and beliefs of the First Nation, ie. Native Americans. There are things that are sacred to them and at least this is one we(our government) allow and we should respect them(NA) for it.
 Breaking man's laws would also break your Creators laws if you know them well enough.
Beating a dead horse is up to you. It makes no difference to me. If you want to let the world(through the internet) know of the laws you break, so be it. All we are trying to do here on PA is inform. Whether or not you listen is your choice.
Quite the consolation prize. We'll take all your land and wipe out all the game but feel free to use Eagle feathers for your pow wow.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2015, 05:18:00 pm »
My concern with a replica would be the density of the plastic not being hard enough for nock overlays(assuming they're plastic). My plan now is to carve and dye antler to look like a talon. I may attempt to acquire some buffalo horn to save the effort of having to color the antler. I'll share my results if they turn out positive.

I'm confused a bit about man's law and nature's law being one in the same.  I understand if it's something we shouldn't really dive too deeply into given the site rules and all.

The items in question are no longer in my possession so to the best of my knowledge I am currently in accordance with all state, federal and local regulations.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 06:47:25 pm »
This might help a little. The Mesquakie people as well as others carved antler and horn to replicate grizzle claws.
Some times coloring them . They are my grandmothers people. Buff horn works great. Looks like black bear claws
done right. Antler you can boil and curve or straighten and polish out to look like Prairie griz. You still have natural
materials but no chance of getting your hands slapped. If you want a claw that looks like hawk use porky front claws.
The native peoples carved them , so dig a little deeper and create a replica.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2015, 01:55:44 am »
Thank for the tip. I always feel more confident and therefore relaxed if I know someone else has succeeded ahead of me. It's that "what one man can do, another man can do mentality."

I already carved a set to look like snake rattles. I just need to find some snakes when we head to the mountains next week. I'm only allowed one timber and one copperhead a season here in PA. It'll be my first time going for poisonous snakes, but snakes were a passion when I was younger so I'm optimistic.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2015, 08:46:54 am »
This isn't a racial preference thing. It is all about the rights and beliefs of the First Nation, ie. Native Americans. There are things that are sacred to them and at least this is one we(our government) allow and we should respect them(NA) for it.
 Breaking man's laws would also break your Creators laws if you know them well enough.
Beating a dead horse is up to you. It makes no difference to me. If you want to let the world(through the internet) know of the laws you break, so be it. All we are trying to do here on PA is inform. Whether or not you listen is your choice.
Quite the consolation prize. We'll take all your land and wipe out all the game but feel free to use Eagle feathers for your pow wow.
so true
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2015, 09:44:01 pm »
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact.” -Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

--So do as you feel is right, and always seek the highest standards.
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 03:38:52 am »
I've just read this thread and I gotta say it's a testament to the good natured sense and humour of all on here.
I had a few belly laughs as I was reading it too :laugh:.
A refreshing change from so many forums.
Del
That dead horse post had me spilling tea on the keyboard ;D
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2015, 12:52:25 pm »
Big snapping turtle claws are pretty impressive too..

Offline bushboy

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 06:22:51 pm »
Up in canada here the feds are not so sticky about raptor feathers,just no bald eagles!but I think most snakes are protected.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 07:24:17 pm »
Am I the only one who wants to see nocks made out of velociraptor claws?