Author Topic: ? about nock overlay material  (Read 8510 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
? about nock overlay material
« on: July 12, 2015, 06:42:02 pm »
Has anyone ever used or heard of someone using a set of talons from a raptor(bird not dinosaur)? I was considering giving it a try. I was planning on filling the hollow on the back side of the nail with high density dental epoxy, the one they make the teeth in dentures out of. The talons are made of keratin same as antler and hoof so I assume it will be okay. I'd just hate to ruin them. Who knows if I'll ever find another set, because use/possession of wild raptor parts is illegal in my state(and the whole U.S. if I'm not mistaken).
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: ? about nock overlay material
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 07:17:21 pm »
My only question is do you have a permit to have such items? If not I wouldn't even think about it.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 08:14:24 pm »
It didn't come from a wild bird. I assume that makes a difference. If I'm wrong please let me know and I will return it to the earth.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 08:40:43 pm »
No way I'm messing with any part of a bird of prey.  Not worth the legal mess and fines if you get caught. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 08:43:03 pm »
After doing some quick research on the subject I'm beginning to agree with you fellas. Forget I mentioned it, as I will be leaving them in the woods next time I'm there.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 09:11:27 pm »
It doesn't matter where they came from. Best to leave them alone.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 09:34:13 pm »
Unless you are full blood native American, put them back.
The law can be tough on this. Do it with respect to the animal.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 09:37:45 pm »
Respect for the animal is why I wanted to use them in the first place, but as I've said already the will be returned to nature.

In an effort to keep a similar design for the bow I had in mind, what about bear or cougar claws with some modification of shape of course?
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 09:50:29 pm »
On a side note, why is race a determining factor when it come to religious practices? A belief is a belief plain and simple. I respect the native americans and their beliefs very much. I wouldn't consider my beliefs to be identical to theirs, but they were a heavy influence on my spiritual path.

I really see no reason that possession of certain animals parts is a crime. Killing certain animal sure, but I find animal remains every day and it seems like a waste to watch them rot. In the case of feather especially. It is very easy to tell the difference from a molted feather and one plucked from a carcass. At the very least they should have an option available to non-native americans who believe in animal symbolism and consider items made from certain animals to be sacred. I'm not talking about an overpriced permit which would strip the magic from the endeavor entirely, but perhaps a cataloging and reporting procedure from the time nature provides it until you are finished with it. Selling of any of these items would remain illegal of course. I'd even allow for random request to produce the items in question to make sure the privilege is not abused.   
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 10:10:18 pm »
 Those are good questions. There should be a caveman clause in all animal possession laws.  As long as you descend from cavemen it should be OK. lol

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 10:26:53 pm »
I agree it's pretty stupid to get in trouble for something you picked up off the ground. But unfortunately our country is known for stupid laws and for having ulterior motives. The law is the law though and it's not worth the trouble of getting caught with it.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 10:31:08 pm »
agreed.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 10:52:01 pm »
The laws to protect birds in general are over 100 years old and were put in place to protect all birds from plume hunters. Because of that "stupid law" we still can enjoy most of the birds in our environment.  Raptors are protected specifically also.
 There are plenty of cool things to use as tip overlays if you think about it. No need to break any stupid laws.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 10:57:08 pm »
The "stupid" law is because people will kill raptors and claim it was a dead bird they took the feathers from. We wouldn't need "stupid" laws if it weren't for blood thirsty poachers.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 11:11:45 pm »
I never said it was stupid, just the all or nothing nature of it didn't make sense. If the demand for eagle feathers was high enough do you think a law would matter. A felony 3 drug charge will get you 25 to life. When was the last time you heard of someone poaching eagles?

If stopping plume hunting was the main purpose for the law it isn't nearly as relevant or necessary today. For one, the fashion industry as a whole leans toward the ethical treatment of animals. Secondly, any feathers that are unique enough to create demand are typical farm raised now a days, like peacock and hackle roosters for example. Lastly, synthetic materials have replaced and out performed the natural one that were once used.

With all of our modern conveniences, like cars, planes, electricity, windows, pesticides, insecticides, and herbicides there is no lack of dying birds. I just want to pluck the feathers and I'm not allowed because it protects the birds? That's the part that doesn't make sense. I've never said ooo that bird is beautiful I must kill it to take the feathers, but if nature lays a gift at my feet it seems like a sin to refuse it. 
~Terrance McKenna