Author Topic: saskatoon?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline jayman448

saskatoon?
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:02:56 am »
ive found some saskatoon that is big enough for sapling bows. is there anything i should know about saskatoon?

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: saskatoon?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 11:51:58 am »
Nice and dense wood. Tends to check if not sealed and stored properly. Most has spiral grain from what I have seen, so I band saw it out rather than split it. I have only made one bow from it, but have roughed out several. I have seen some stout bows made from it.

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 12:34:19 pm »
Look for Serviceberry bows, it's the same stuff.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:46:41 pm »
Darn it! Three days into drying and it split all to heckWhy??? ;) ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:08:21 am by Pappy »

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 09:55:10 pm »
Probably the hot dry weather we're enjoying in BC. Did you seal the ends and back(if you de-barked it). Being from a dry place you are going to have to slow down the drying. Out of the sun, out of the wind, I'm trying wrapping it in paper. I heard that slows it down some. My experience is with Ocean Spray mostly but I have done a couple of pieces of Saskatoon. No problem here on the coast buy you have major dry up there.

Offline bambam

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 09:04:23 am »
Just cut a nice straight thick saskatoon tree myself. This time I will let it dry with sealed ends in basement for at least a year. Others I tried dried to a propeller twist. A really tough wood. Have one in the build process now.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline jayman448

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 03:27:38 pm »
Its been 23C in the day and then pee rain and thunder at night here for the last week. It was de barked, sealed ends in the basement. Maybe the fluxuation did it? The larger piece seems to be fine still. Cirse tha darn thing split so bad its more kindling again. Haha

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 04:14:16 pm »
DE-barked is the problem.
If the wood is prone to checking and you aren't in a rush then a large plastic bag and as many wood shavings as you can find are your friends.

Offline bambam

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 08:03:34 pm »
Have tried various methods with this. Do not debark. Seal the ends with glue then let it dry naturally for a year. It will dry with a propeller twist which does not matter. This wood is insanely tough and is worth the wait. I tried waiting 6 months then debarking and flattening one side and attaching it to a board to finish drying. It dried perfectly straight but with the propeller twist. Guess you have to be patient with this wood.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline jayman448

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 10:46:32 pm »
Patience..... the virtue i do not have.... xD

Offline jayman448

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 01:03:31 am »
I didnt realize how much of thisnstuff was around me! So i got a few (and know where to get a few more). Being so small, how long should i expect to wait for it to dry to perfection? 4 months? 6months? A year?

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 01:38:23 pm »
Cutting it this time of year when it is full of moisture doesn't help either. If you debark it, you need to also bandsaw it in half or reduce it with drawknife to avoid checking and of coarse seal the back and ends and store in cool place.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 03:30:29 am »
Like Carson said. Cut it when the leaves have dropped. Beautiful wood . My personal experience .........................it didn't like to be bent with heat . the test pieces all delaminated between the rings. I've never had another piece of wood do that. Odd.