Author Topic: Patterned burlap backed red oak in progress. Advise needed (pics)  (Read 1315 times)

Offline make-n-break

Here's one that's been in progress for a few days. I originally combed out a pile of 12" sisal fibers and backed it with two layers, but after 48+ hours it was still gooey. Guess I put too much on at once. Anyway, stripped that off and made a trip to the fabric store for some jute. Found some burlap with a pattern that seemed like it would be well concealed in the woods.

I backed it for extra assurance because the grain is a little wonky near the handle. Real good grain on the limbs tho, one run out per. I really want this one to survive so I can shoot it at Marshall next week. I've never been so careful with one up to this point lol. I've given it 100% effort  the whole way.

Its 68 ttt and 1.75" wide at the fades with a 4" narrow and deep stiff handle and 2.5" fades. Question is, you guys think this design will hold up to 50@27"? I've always trusted hickory lumber, but the few times I've went for it with red oak I ask too much of my designs and get frets. Long string tiller starts tomorrow. I plan on trapping the back a little too.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline make-n-break

Re: Patterned burlap backed red oak in progress. Advise needed (pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 01:34:40 am »
I'd go down in weight if anyone thinks that's a good idea. Want a hunting weight bow though! Was hoping #45+
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 01:47:25 am »
Y i u can get a hunting weight bow from red oak no problem
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 02:28:34 pm »
I probably would have glued a thin overlay(wood/bone/ antler) on the back of the handle section if it was an area of concern. You could still do it if you built up a layer of TB in the handle and sanded it flat. Just keep it thin or it will pop off.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 05:34:49 pm »
The design would but the key is in the grain of the board.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!