Author Topic: Python backed osage recurve.  (Read 3807 times)

Offline bowmo

Python backed osage recurve.
« on: July 11, 2015, 01:45:48 pm »
This one started way back in like 2006 as a flax backed recurve with much bigger recurves on it. A problem at a knot in the lower limb (the giant sinew patched area), recurves that were too big, flax backing is hard to get stuck on good without cracking, not enough bend in the fades (hence the ugly mid limb set)...in the corner it went. Then years later I filed off the flax and backed it with the python and the next day found myself asking "why did I use my best form of rawhide on this piece of crap?!" which had it the corner again. Picked it up last year and randomly put on some tip overlays, messed with the tiller...lost interest...back to the corner. Well, picked it back up last week and finally finished it up.

Python skin backed osage, maple and horn overlays. 58.5" ntn 50# at 26" Looks pretty stupid unstrung but not too bad at brace and draw. Shoots fairly well. Couple shots with the new bow quiver I made a few days ago as well.

Those guys on Myth Busters don't know squat about archery...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:53:35 pm by bowmo »

Offline GB

Re: Python backed osage recurve.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 02:35:30 pm »
Really nice work and the skin looks very cool.  I've reworked a couple myself and it's very gratifying to take a second shot at it and have it turn out nice.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 03:02:34 pm »
Looks awfully nice to me. The skins, tips, handle wrap and finish are top notch, and that quiver is sharp.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Floridabowyer

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 03:46:38 pm »
I'd sure be proud of that one! That's one really nice bow!

Offline bowmo

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 03:49:15 pm »
Thanks guys. She's not my fastest or my fav but it is easy to shoot for sure.

Floridabowyer: With the python problem you guys have in that state I would be tryin to get my hands on some for sure. It's thicker than deer hide!

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 04:41:19 pm »
Those skins do look great. Well the whole bow does.

I would have never guessed that the skins are thicker than rawhide. I've never handled snakeskins, but I always imagined them to be like parchment paper thin.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 04:57:33 pm »
LittleBen: Normal snake skins are! Most are practically like tissue paper. Big bull snakes that are 6 or 7 feet long are about the thickness of goatskin, but nothing like these python skins. Mind you these came from a 13 foot long snake! This is just one small section split in half to make a piece for each limb.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 05:08:49 pm »
Very nice recovery. Looks ready for the hunt!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 06:44:43 pm »
Great looking bow.   I'm pretty sure I'm the Mythbusters episode they were talking about a flawless nock to broadhead split of the arrow in perfect halves, which would be a very very rare occurrence involving perfect grain and a perfect hit. Sticking one arrow in another is just bound to happen sooner or later if you're shooting groups. ☺Good shootin though.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 07:26:39 pm »
I've always wanted to back a bow with some python skins. Killer work on the resurrection.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 09:06:35 pm »
Those Python skins are awesome. Love that look. My heart would sink a little if I robinhooded an arrow that perdy.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline WillS

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 05:05:44 am »
Streuth.  Where did you get the skin from?  Looks like a Royal Python, and if it was 13ft it would be a world record breaker...!

Offline Drewster

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 09:16:31 am »
Looks like your persistence paid off handsomely.  Very nice looking bow.....really like the quiver too.  Sweet!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 10:04:43 am »
nice save. funny how they haunt ya for awhile, then come back better than ever. beauty of a bow.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 10:18:56 am »
Great looking bow man.  Hope it makes you meat this fall