Author Topic: dimensions for mollie?  (Read 5726 times)

blackhawk

Re: dimensions for mollie?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 01:53:01 pm »
So any suggestions on the width and or length?  I was thinking 68 non but not sure how wide it should be.

Your working limb width will depend on what percentage of the length of a limb your devoting to being a lever. Longer the lever the wider your working limbs need to be. Lately I've come to the conclusion of liking my levers 33-40% of the length of the limb as a lever. And  making the width of the working limb parallel for 6-8"(pending on the bows stats) and then gently tapering to the transitional fades into the levers. It makes it easier to transition from working limb to lever this way,and creates less mass in that area....plus it just looks smoother aesthetically. For yours with maple lumber I'd go a full 2" wide for 6-8" then gently taper to 11/4" at the start of the lever fade...make the lever fade 1 1/2" long and 7/8" wide parallel to the tips for rough starting dimensions...you can reduce them later after you know where your string is tracking. Make your levers an 1/8" thicker than the thinnest part of your working limbs(should be right before the levers) for starters to get ya in the ball park for rough dimensions. Once tillered reduce at your own risk...lol.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 02:56:01 pm »
This thread has been bunch of help.  Thanks!  Bookmarked it, but within couple weeks I forget that it's bookmarked and waste time doing searches or, worse, ask same question.   ??? ::)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline punch

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 01:44:28 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I might be able to start tomorrow. 

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2015, 07:54:25 am »
Let me say I know little to nothing about mollies.

I did want to mention though that a 23" draw is more typical for someone of 4'10" than 5'3". Her draw should be more like 25" if she has normal limb proportion I would think.

My point is I would build the bow for the greater of the two draw lengths unless you're absolutely sure about the 23". Also people's draw length, especially with trad bows, sometimes increases as they shoot more, develop form and also build strength. So if she's not done a lot of shooting, it may increase.

Couple extra inches of bow may save you trouble later, that's all.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2015, 08:21:18 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I might be able to start tomorrow.
Great!
Don't be bashful about posting pics of progress.
good luck!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857