Author Topic: I actually Fluted one....  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Dalton Knapper

I actually Fluted one....
« on: July 13, 2015, 06:14:53 pm »
I have had some success with fluting points, but this is the best so far because I fluted it 1 1/4" on one side and 1" on the other. I just put the tip to a hard leather pad on my leg, set it at an angle and drive off the flute with direct percussion - twice! I am kinda stoked at the prospects of making more. I wanted to flute it with direct percussion since that's how I figure it was done back in the Clovis days. It's nothing special, but I learned something (Thanks to Marty Reuter). The poing is 2 3/8" novaculite.

Offline RickB

Re: I actually Fluted one....
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 06:53:43 pm »
Great job on that nice point.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 07:09:30 pm »
looks really nice Ben.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 07:53:01 pm »
I'm liking it...nicely done..
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:29:03 pm »
I agree with everybody else. That is a nice point, and even nicer knowing the flutes were done with direct percussion.

WA

Offline beartail

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 09:07:00 am »
wow! iv been breaking rock a long time and cant do that! great job man. tell me how you did it.what did you learn that helped you?

Offline StevenT

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 09:50:20 am »
That is super nice. I have one point that I was able to flute on both sides with direct percussion. It's not the best prettiest point I have made, but to this day it is still one of my favorites. Unlike my point, your's looks fabulous and I bet it will be one of your favorites for a long time. Nice, nice, nice!

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 10:13:25 am »
Beartail - Here's how I did it. This is from one of Marty Reuter's videos. This is part II, but you may also wish to look up part I. The fluting technique I used is the same as Marty's except that I didn't utilize leather to hold the point and I put the tip against a hard leather hand pad - I believe securing the tip against something eleminates a lot of the end shock and helps prevent breaking the point in two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpUGaCSvESY
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:17:54 am by Dalton Knapper »