Author Topic: Building the Atlatl.  (Read 5888 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Building the Atlatl.
« on: March 09, 2015, 01:58:57 am »
Any good tips for a rookie Atlatl builder?

Thrower length? Dart spine? That sort of stuff.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline chamookman

Re: Building the Atlatl.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 06:15:48 am »
Bryce - Bowyers make great Atlatls. Broken limbs work great. I've always made them 16"-24" long. Have never spined darts, but would make them the same length as the Person doing the throwing. I used 3/8" hardwood dowels for foreshafting (fire hardened tip) about 14"-15" hafted in 'Cane.Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:13:38 pm »
I like atlatls as long as my forearm and dart spine is real low, they are a bunch of fun Bryce google it and you will find a bunch of plans for throwers, also thunderbird atlatls has videos and a lot of differant styles to check out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Patches

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 09:18:11 am »
Bryce,  I start out with most of mine being 15 - 18 inches, or fore arm length like Bubby said.  Depending on how far the dart is going be thrown, I take off length from the thrower.  For the ones I use for hunting, with shots hopefully being 10- 15 yards, I go with a 18" thrower and darts that are about 5.5 feet long (including foreshaft).  For bow fishing, where my shots are under 5 yards, I use a shorter thrower (14-15 inches) and shorter darts.  For fun and long distance throwing, I have a couple that are 20 + inches with darts that are 6 ft +.  Just start making them and see what works for you.  Good thing about them is you can get as elaborate as you want, or keep it as simple as you want.  I seen the President of the Missouri Atlatl Association go cut a fork out of a little sapling, cut the limbs off, leaving it looking like a stick that you would roast wieners with.  He wrapped a string between the points and used darts with nocks cut into them like arrows.  He kicked butt with that setup! 

And you can use scrap pieces of wood from wood building to make them from too.  I have a whole box of wood pieces that I am planning on making throwers with.  Every time I get nice scrap, it goes in the box for future use (but I am also a wood hoarder...but that is another story : )  ).   Good luck with the atlatl making! 

Neal 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 12:25:05 pm »
    THANKS  BRYCE Me and my son BRIER been talking about makeing ourselfs each a set.

I hurt my left rotator cub in AUG. got almost better. In DEC. I fell through a barn floor. Instintively put my arm down. Rehurt it so bad now my left arm is against my side alot. So I wont be shooting my bow for a while.

But I have a good right arm.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:48 am »
so, Bryce, you have reached the next phase in your addiction >:D the atlatl is a facinating weapon, and an important part of your journey. its simplicity and effeciency are remarkable. soon you will be knapping your own hunting heads and making shafts from shoots. ;D

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 08:30:51 pm »
You guys that hunt or carry an atlatal around, possibly in the woods, the shafts are long and would not fit into a quiver I don't think. How do you carry several shafts when moving around in the woods?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 04:12:30 am »
Being right handed, I carry Darts (3 or 4) in My left hand - fletch forward. Easy to get one on the prong of the thrower when needed. Works for Me - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 01:14:48 pm »
I think I got one that I can officially call a weapon :) I'll post pics soon!
Clatskanie, Oregon