Author Topic: Thoughts on Dog Wood  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Thoughts on Dog Wood
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 04:46:26 am »
Thanks, you know you would have been welcome Greg. ;) I plan on stringing it back up this evening and see what I got. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 05:10:07 am »
Got it strung and back out to 47@26,seems to shoot fine but still no barn burner, it holds about 1 inch of reflex now right after un stringing and a couple after it sets for a while. It has a couple of pin's in the mid limb that are worrisome so I decide to raw hide back it, it will make a solid shooter but I don't think worthy of the Coral snakes I had planned for it. Should make a good hunting bow. The weight is good and smooth draw with no hand shock and very quite, deer don't really know how fast a bow is anyway ;) :) I will get some full draw pictures of it as soon as I get the raw hide finished. Thanks for you comments. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 07:10:13 am »
Looks good from my seat pappy. RyanR gave me a big ol' 1/4 log of dogwood at Marshall. I'll have to split a stick off and see how it goes, maybe this winter.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 07:41:25 am »
Seems to be prone to taking on moisture which really surprises me even if it is what we would call  white wood, very hard and pretty dense when seasoned. Good news, it's tough as nails so if nothing else it should make a dependable bow and that is what I look for most anyway, so I guess I should just quick my whining. ??? ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 09:00:01 am »
   It looks good from my angle.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 09:08:14 am »
Blackhawk made a long skinny ELB looking bow at Marshall from dogwood. He is in Colorado now, or he'd be chiming in.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 03:58:03 pm »
Little bit short for a Whitewood  bow Pappy
Glad the heat helped a bit, always does
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 04:50:19 pm »
Looking good, let's see more ...
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 04:55:13 am »
I hear ya Guy but it is all I had to work with, ;) got the rawhide on and trimmed up nice, hope to shoot it some this weekend if I can find the time and the rain will stop , also some full draw pictures. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 01:14:32 pm »
  Tim Baker always swears there is no way to tell the difference in wood when you are drawing it. He might be right. But I could swear I always felt a nice smooth feel on dog wood that I don't feel on any other wood.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 05:46:38 am »
It is very smooth drawing Steve, I didn't get time to shoot it this weekend, to much going on getting ready for the IBO world but did get the rawhide work done, so it is ready to shoot and finish up as soon as I get time. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 05:50:09 am »
Had a little worry with a knot, it hadn't given any trouble but thought better be safe than sorry and raw hide is no trouble to add and I have plenty of it. :)It has been shot 25/30 times since the heat treating and still holding pretty good reflex so I think the heating has helped or maybe I just finally got it dry. :-\  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 10:01:14 am »
Sorry I'm late to this party,,and looks like ya got her spanked alfeady....but FWIW n my two cents...I like dogwood...I think its most similar and close to hhb,but maybe just a smidgen less. But most all whitewood falls in the same category in my small book.... ive only made a few dogwoods,but I've liked em all. They've all been "sweet" drawing and shooting bows.  Maybe not no barn burners,but the feel of its draw and arrow placements was really good(which matters more to me anyways)...Its def worth the effort to heat treat it,and try to keep its mc low like hickory.