Author Topic: Bear...s  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Bear...s
« on: July 04, 2015, 10:34:54 pm »
My wife came in from our porch a few minutes ago all excited, a Bear had just walked past the window.  I went to see and it was in the front of the house sniffing around, it was maybe 2 years old and 150 lbs.  It walked around a bit and then wandered out the driveway so we went upstairs for a better look as it went away but it had already left.  I went to look out a back window to see if it had gone out the back but it wasn't there.  Then my wife got real excited and said there was another bigger one in the front so I went to see, she was right.  This Bear was as big as I have ever seen.  I've killed a few Bears over the years and a couple were in the 400 lb range but this Bear dwarfed those.  It was easily over 500 lbs.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Bear...s
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 10:47:07 pm »
AW man! The one game animal in North America I wanna hunt is black bear.  Spot and stock on the ground.  Or maybe sitting on Marc's back porch where I can get refills on coffee.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 01:52:56 am »
Heck all I got is rabbits, deer, turkeys and fox.
Used to see some bears.
Marc do you think he might be after a moose calf?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 07:56:41 am »
Honestly this thing is big enough that I think it could tackle an adult Moose.  It went by our mini van on the way out and it was bigger than the front end.  I went out to see if there were tracks this morning but the ground is too hard

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 11:29:23 am »
wheres the pictures?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 01:17:11 pm »
Didn't have time to take pictures.  It was there and gone in less than a minute and the youngster wasn't worth taking a picture of

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 10:35:09 pm »
AW man! The one game animal in North America I wanna hunt is black bear.  Spot and stock on the ground.  Or maybe sitting on Marc's back porch where I can get refills on coffee.

Years ago I had a standing offer to members of the PA community that anyone could come up and stay at my place for a Bear hunt on my property.  The only stipulation was that only primitive archery equipment could be used.  The only person to take me up on that was Glenn Doane.  The last year Glenn came up he saw this sow and her cubs practically every day as they came out to the tree stand, they were off limits to the hunt

This sow weighed around 400# and was about 2' wide across her back, she was small compared to the one we saw the other night.  Glenn arrowed a Bear that year but unfortunately we couldn't recover it.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 12:28:42 am »
I remember when Glenn made that first trip, Marc. Glad he got to make it back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 04:03:36 am »
Good pictures and story, sounds like a gorgeous bear.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 01:15:36 pm »
    Dose that still stand tell you what I'll trade you a buck hunt. Or a gobbler come spring have Petty of gobbler saw 37 in all almost shot a smokey (white with black tips). he was 3 feet beside my pop-up. Saw him 3  other times just never got a shot.

Another thing bring popups. I very seldom hunt from them. But some people have to for some of their own reasons .

Can't promass you anything. HUNTINGS HUNTING

I don't hunt stands anymore (2 strokes) Made me a total ground hunter. I put up and took down 15 20 stands a year. Lots of work I don't miss.

I'll never get in the tree's again. I know if you really want to kill bucks get up. I stand hunted for 30 years. But killing bucks from logy hangup not very primitive. Nothing like having a 4,5,6 year old buck going by you,shooting him at 10 yards.

When you get inside their zone I but it at 15 yards. Eveything has to be perfect to get off a shot. I have 40 bucks with my own selfbows. My longest shoot was 17 yards most were 10 to 12 yards. I set up to where I have a 10 ,12 yards shot.
s
 I have a dozzens ground sites in place most for years.If you want bring strands we'll put you up. As with you, you have to bring a traditional bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 07:11:13 pm »
The stand is still there but it's in disrepair.  That big Bear probably walked right by it the other day  :)

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 09:21:36 pm »
I remember that offer, also. I really wanted to take you up on it then. Glenn had a great time, we were emailing each other back and forth before and after he went up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 11:20:58 pm »
  COOL DEAL
  Where you live at.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 08:26:25 am »
Yes I think Glenn had a good time  :)

I don't have time this year but I'm going to take a look at that stand next year to see if it's salvageable.

I'm way up North in Corbeil, Ontario which is near North Bay.  Lots of Bears up here and a few Moose as well

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com