Author Topic: Midwest Slingshot Tournament, 2015  (Read 3118 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Midwest Slingshot Tournament, 2015
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:52:24 pm »
Prior to getting into archery a year ago, slingshot making/shooting had been my main hobby for several years. And I know some of ya'll also do some shooting.

Here's short vid of the main event at this year's Midwest Slingshot Tournament.  Competition was held bit north of Lafayette, IN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txs1bVKlZuA

There's lotsa similarities between the 2 sports.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

Re: Midwest Slingshot Tournament, 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 05:59:17 pm »
Dand that ol' boy can shoot
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 06:40:26 pm »
Cool!  I have a few slingshots but haven't found the proper ammo to be able to hit where I'm looking.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 06:46:24 pm »
Pat .... 3/8 or 7/16 steel ball bearings work well for most adult ss setups.  If your hand is getting slapped by bands after releasing the ammo, there's good chance that ammo is not heavy enough.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 07:28:19 pm »
How about bands? One friend suggested exercise bands from Wal Mart but I don't know what size to cut them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 11:50:45 pm »
I'm interested in this subject to. I've made a couple but the band selection has me frustrated. Mine have been primitive and so are my bands. Wonder if I don't need to tiller my forks differently.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 12:49:05 am »
Bands? Talkin' bands reninds me of talkin' bow wood.  ::)
Theraband is, imo, best exercise band for slings. I don't think WM sells them.  Brand WM sells may work ok, though. Different band colors signify different pull weight.  In Theraband world, gold color is king.

Again imo, medical-grade latex (.030 or .040) is pinnacle of ss flat banding. Superior retraction rate = fast. But their life is bit limited & ya gotta keep them in cool/dark place.

For lonnnnnng life, I've not found anything that can hold candle to this stuff ... simple-shot.com/diy/linatex-sheets/
For these bands my typical band setup (for 3/8 steel) is 'bout 5 1/2" long working length x 7/16 wide, straight (no taper) cut.

For latex or theraband, my recollection is either 4 or 5 stretch factor.  If draw is 30", working length of bands would be approx 6".

This is my go-to forum for anything related to slingshots ... http://slingshotforum.com/  Wonderful helpful folk, just like PA!

Here'c couple vids I shared today with some friends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2lIXEY_xic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fJ__Cb9eIs
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:53:54 am by Pat B »

Offline Traxx

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 02:18:46 pm »
There's lotsa similarities between the 2 sports.

I have often felt the same.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 11:41:07 pm »
Looks like he is using a peep site to me. Top arm of slingshot has a hole in it.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 01:12:11 am »
Looks like he is using a peep site to me. Top arm of slingshot has a hole in it.
Good eye!  :)
But holes are for attachment of tube (as opposed to flat) bands. Both arms of that slingshot frame have a hole. Sights are viewed as verboten as they would be in selfbow class. Based on location of hole and Ray's anchor point, if hole were used as sight then ammo would be flying over the backstop!
Ray is very good shooter, but quick review of other scores shows there are several who are close on his heels.
This is another event I need to get butt to in next couple years.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 06:01:49 pm »
check out the SlingShot Channel on youtube. The guy is a little nuts I think but he makes a wicked set of slingshots and related items.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 08:02:58 pm »
Look up PFS shooter on youtube as well.That guy is pretty handy with any kind of slingshot.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 08:28:24 pm »
Look up PFS shooter on youtube as well.That guy is pretty handy with any kind of slingshot.
Yep.
And until ya actually hold one of those lil pfs slings you can't appreciate how very small they are.
Pfs is only slingshot have had fork hit with ... for me, they are difficult to shoot at all, much less do so with this fella's accuracy.